Oil filters for GM 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've was using the Wix 51042 on my GMC Yukon XL & after a long trip I noticed a very distinctive sound from my vehicle like a knocking noise. I've since switched to the Fram TG3506 and haven't noticed this at all. I'm not saying anything bad about Wix but I am wondering if anybody else has noticed anything similar to this with any other oil filter brands or could this just be me. Any thoughts on this issue?

Did you also change the oil at the same time as the filter? Could be either if so. That being said many people have cured start up ticks with the tough guard. The silicone anti drain back valve seals very well against the fiber end disc mmaking sure you don't have a dry start. Also the efficiency is higher with the TG, 99% @20 microns vs 95% of Wix.

You made a good choice.

Yes I changed the oil which was Pennzoil Platinum since I've owned it. I've never had any issues with Pennzoil either so I know that's not the case, ( I know a lot of people hate Pennzoil), however I've always had good luck with it.

Nope had always used it and been noticing the noise since I bought the vehicle. I had it looked at and there were no major issues that could be found. I was told to try a different oil filter which I have since done. I have not noticed the knocking noise anymore since I have changed. I thought I would share this information with people here to see if there had been any others who have had similar issues with the Wix 51042 or any other oil filters for the 5.3.

Wix makes good filers, so maybe you got a dud. Having said that the Fram TG is an excellent filter worthy of 10K OCI's in a clean engine. So use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Wix makes good filers, so maybe you got a dud. Having said that the Fram TG is an excellent filter worthy of 10K OCI's in a clean engine. So use with confidence.

I think since he's said it's been doing it with every Wix filter he's used since new, it's not just a matter of it being a dud. Perhaps his engine just doesn't like some design aspect of the Wix, since the Fram he's using no longer exhibits the noise. I, personally, have never noticed a difference in engine noise between different brands of filters, but maybe my engines aren't as picky. The only time I've ever really had a filter related issue was with an Amsoil EaO I used on my Acura a while back... it would consistently take longer for the oil light to go off when starting the vehicle. I'm guessing the ADBV was faulty, but I still used it for 5,000+ miles without it causing any additional noises.

I had a 2002 5.3L Suburban that was sensitive to the oil filter. Until it became a piston slapper at about 30,000 miles. When the start up tick turned to a heavy knock for 3-5 minutes.

Last edited:
Yes it seems its been picky but I have never seen this before either with vehicles.

I usually use the longer filters such as Wix 51522 / Napa Gold 1522 / Mobil 1 M1-206 / Fram Ultra XG3675 and I've never had problems with any of these.

Just wondering how long OCI can a PF46 handle. I usually follow the OLM which says change at 7,500. Can you push them that far?

Originally Posted By: OSUFan86
Just wondering how long OCI can a PF46 handle. I usually follow the OLM which says change at 7,500. Can you push them that far?

The OEM filters are supposed to be rated to the manufacture's OCI recommendation, and if that's based on an OLM, then it should go that distance.

Have you done this? I am not saying the PF46 isn't a good filter but I've not seen anybody try that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back