Oil filter with no bypass valve ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open a Amsoil EA059 used for my boat, and was very surprised that it has no bypass valve. So I looked up a bunch of competitors- Amsoil EA024, M1-302, Purolator etc. and found that all the cross-referenced filters and larger but compatible sizes also do not have a BPV. The specs at the Purolator site, and some other site I found indicate that no BPV is designed into this spec. I find this very odd, as I thought all high end filters would have a BPV.

Boat is a Mercruiser, 2000 MPI 7.4 L , essentially a marinized version of the L29 454. I am feeling very uncomfortable running a filter with no bypass valve. Boat is only used in temps above 50 F, with 20w50 oil. The Ams EA024 and M1-302 are oversized filters with about 50-75% more capacity.

Last edited:
By-pass valve is in oil filter mount. Look for a small raised metal piece with a bolt holding it with a dime size hole. You can push in on the disc mounted behind it, that's the by-pass valve.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
By-pass valve is in oil filter mount. Look for a small raised metal piece with a bolt holding it with a dime size hole. You can push in on the disc mounted behind it, that's the by-pass valve.

Thanks- I had not considered that it would be built into the engine. It has a remote filter adapter: would the bypass valve be at the block side, or on the remote mount where the filter goes ?

Here is a parts diagram of my model-
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31918/2705/240

If you have enough filter area to handle near full flow with cold/cool oil, you may not want a by-pass valve at all... We regularly block all bypass valves in race motors (do not block pressure relief valves) so that if something starts shedding metal, it all gets caught - well except for what gets tossed around by the spinning crank/windage.

Marine systems are often full flow 100% filtered systems. Ditto for on-board hydraulic systems. It all depends on if your oiling system can flow enough under all conditions.

By-pass valves are for small filters required for space limited areas or cost of MFG constraints where the media area is calculated to be sufficient 95% of the time. Cold starts with thick oil are outside that "nominal running" environment. Also, most operators/drivers are not spinning cold engines to red line.

Fire Trucks, Ambulances, Crash Trucks, etc. - get treated just like race cars. Full flow 100% filtration all the time. They go from stone cold to red line in less than a minute and have to run. Bigger filters are the norm
smile.gif

Industrial oil filters almost always have the bypass valve in the housing. Only notable exception of which I'm aware are the Hydac return elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back