oil filter recomendation for 2003 s10 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck has about 102000 miles on it and have basically been running 5w-30 pyb. I have been using a Fram orange can for awhile now but after reading all the stuff on here about them it looks like I will be switching to something different.It seems that wiks is probably the best but I see quite a few with my same engine are running a acdelco. Is one considerably better than the other or what would would be the best filter for my application? I do 3000 mile oci if that helps. Thanks!

Is the wix any better than the Purolator classic? Are the delco filters they sell at walmart not the same as the ones they sell in the dealership?

Havent compared lately - they used to be different - used to not be able to get real delco anywhere outside the dealer - everything was china knockoff scam. Thought delco was just made by champ lab. Purolator are dang good filters.

Some folks think the can is too thin on the purolator. Some folks dont like that the base-end bypass on the Wix has no gasketing to the filter endcap. IMO either should be fine on the truck - dont know if delco is doing louvered core - that helps flow - wix and purolator are using louvered cores. I had 1 2007 4.3l W/t 4wd short bed stick. 4wd for 17 grand out the door with ac and dual zone heat and premium split bench and rear tow bumper. Too bad the fuel injection TB kept falling off the engine!

Last edited:
So the only thing bad your saying about Purolator filters is the can is possibly too thin? Seems like the only case this would matter is if it was mounted in a location where it could come in contact with something and in my case it is bassically impossible. Is this assumption right?

Delco's at Walmart are the same as from the dealer, always have been. Never heard of a Delco from anywhere being made in China. The only time that would happen is if you bought a "counterfeit".

Delco, Wix or Purolator are all excellent filters. Use whatever you can get the easiest or are most comfortable with
I've been using Purolator Pureone lately due to their outstanding filtration.

I just want whats best for the engine and has the best filtering properties. I have access to about anything as I have a Walmart and 4 other auto part stores within 5 minutes of the house.

Originally Posted By: Gregz28
I just want whats best for the engine and has the best filtering properties. I have access to about anything as I have a Walmart and 4 other auto part stores within 5 minutes of the house.

all of them are good. the filter wont impact engine life unless it fails so any of the above would be good. Just remember the delco is OEM for your truck.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Delco's at Walmart are the same as from the dealer, always have been.
That was my understanding as well.

I know ACD filters used to be made only by Delphi (in-house), then for a while were made by both Delphi and Champion (as a second-source), but I think now they're all made by Champ.

I stocked up on AC Delcos when I found some that were made by Wix. I still have 2 left. I use the PF52 size on my mom's Malibu that specs the PF47. I got a bunch of Tough Guard and Extended Guard Frams as well, and those are both pretty good IMO. I would have no hesitation using the e-core SuperTech or Ac Delcos though. I use e-cores on my Girlfriend's 2.4 Grand Am and I've cut them open and they look top-notch.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i stopped using a/c delco when they changed to e core

Thats when i started using them!

The Ecore looks like a technically superior design to me. My bet is that there are a bunch of engineers and lawyers in Germany trying to find a way around Champs patents. So when is somebody around here going to start stocking one I can use on my truck?

Much of the discussion of the Ecore reminds me of Ford and their 60's ''More road hugging weight''. Purolator is still using about the same design as in the 40's when they were an innovative
American company.

Originally Posted By: Gregz28
Some times the high efficiency (99+ media)can cause oiling issues - noticed this on some Japanses cars with hydraulic cam phasing. I dont think the 4.3 should have this issue, and you have a oil press gauge on the dash to monitor whats going on. Just to be safe the Purolator Classic is a good bet and only 3-4 bucks.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Some times the high efficiency (99+ media)can cause oiling issues - noticed this on some Japanses cars with hydraulic cam phasing.

Based on your findings, are there oil filters that should be avoided for Toyota VVT engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back