Oil filter questions

Hi, I'm due for an oil change on my Honda and I'm having a hell of a time deciphering all the crap on the internet about oil and filters for this next change. I got a jug of Castrol Edge 5w20 already but I need a filter. Being in Canada options aren't the same as the US but I'm leaning towards a purolator boss (pricey off Amazon for 30 bucks cdn and can't find locally) from reading other forums but after watching fordbossme on youtube I've found its cheaper and easier to get Fram Ultraguard 16.99 cdn and they seems to be well regarded vs the regular fram. K&N is easy as well but they're more money at 21.99 cdn. looking for the best protection for my cars (19 Mazda cx-5 2.5 and 09 Honda accord 2.4) without spending big money for something not worth it. I put pennzoil platinum into my wife's Mazda with a K&N oil filter but read and watched reviews showing the K&N is not great quality by comparison. If thats the case i wont use them again.

So, is Fram ultraguard fine, go for the Purolator Boss, or stick with OEM. Also, is K&N just marketing wank? Looks identical internally to cheap Walmart filters.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Fram Ultra. You can easily leave it in for two oil changes.

If you have time to kill and are seeking some exhilaration, search this site for Purolator aka tearolator.
Oh really. Good to know. I'll read up. Thanks!

You can get oems pretty cheap at the Honda dealerships. I can get them for about 5 bux.
I usually just get oem but recently due to laziness I've been ordering off Amazon and saw a YouTube where they cut open a Honda and it was a Fram death filter... so now I'm weary.

I usually just get oem but recently due to laziness I've been ordering off Amazon and saw a YouTube where they cut open a Honda and it was a Fram death filter... so now I'm weary.
Yeah I'm kind've the same way. The Honda dealerships are all way out of the way, and I hardly ever go near their direction.

Non-metal end cap work fine ... it's a long time misconception that oil filters have to have metal end caps to be a good filter. Plenty of C&P photos posted of filters with non-metal end caps and it doesn't really make a difference unless you run one for 5 times longer than it should be. And if someone does that, they will most like have other things to worry about too.

They're a little different. Better media, better can, and better gasket. I think Honda oems are now made by a different company.

How long do you plan to run the Oil Filter?

I am fairly new here also, but there are lots of cut open comparisons on YouTube and honestly most aftermarket filters now are made by 1 of 2 companies, and most are pretty poor quality these days anyway. Most OEM filters seem to be well assembled but use low quality materials. I haven't found the perfect filter yet, but if your like me and doing 5000 mile OCI max then it likely doesn't matter. However if its anything other than hole side facing directly up, get one with a silicone ADBV.

Hi, I'm due for an oil change on my Honda and I'm having a hell of a time deciphering all the crap on the internet about oil and filters for this next change. I got a jug of Castrol Edge 5w20 already but I need a filter. Being in Canada options aren't the same as the US but I'm leaning towards a purolator boss (pricey off Amazon for 30 bucks cdn and can't find locally) from reading other forums but after watching fordbossme on youtube I've found its cheaper and easier to get Fram Ultraguard 16.99 cdn and they seems to be well regarded vs the regular fram. K&N is easy as well but they're more money at 21.99 cdn. looking for the best protection for my cars (19 Mazda cx-5 2.5 and 09 Honda accord 2.4) without spending big money for something not worth it. I put pennzoil platinum into my wife's Mazda with a K&N oil filter but read and watched reviews showing the K&N is not great quality by comparison. If thats the case i wont use them again.

So, is Fram ultraguard fine, go for the Purolator Boss, or stick with OEM and gtfo of here. Also, is K&N just marketing wank? Looks identical internally to cheap Walmart filters.

Thank you for any help!

I would just go to Carquest in Canada and pick up one of their their Carquest brand premium filters which are white with blue markings. They are the same quality as Purolator ONE filters and very reasonably priced.

So, is Fram ultraguard fine, go for the Purolator Boss, or stick with OEM and gtfo of here. Also, is K&N just marketing wank? Looks identical internally to cheap Walmart filters.

Thank you for any help!
If you are willing to spend $30 on a filter, just buy an AMSOIL EaO. Otherwise, the FRAM Ultra is available at Canadian Tire and Parts Source for about 1/2 that.

How long do you plan to run the Oil Filter?

I am fairly new here also, but there are lots of cut open comparisons on YouTube and honestly most aftermarket filters now are made by 1 of 2 companies, and most are pretty poor quality these days anyway. Most OEM filters seem to be well assembled but use low quality materials. I haven't found the perfect filter yet, but if your like me and doing 5000 mile OCI max then it likely doesn't matter. However if its anything other than hole side facing directly up, get one with a silicone ADBV.
Yea just the usual OCI around 5000mi. My honda burns off about two quarts between anyways but the Mazda has a longer interval and is a tighter tolerance engine that I want to last as long as possible. I k ow how to work on honda... Mazda skyactiv engines are a different animal.

Yea just the usual OCI around 5000mi. My honda burns off about two quarts between anyways but the Mazda has a longer interval and is a tighter tolerance engine that I want to last as long as possible. I k ow how to work on honda... Mazda skyactiv engines are a different animal.
For the Honda I would just use whatever quality filter you can find easily in Canada. Most aftermarket filters are now made either by first brands or Mann + Hummel, which doesn't mean every branded filter is the same but the build quality sure seems to be similar, just different materials, so you can decide what features you wish to pay for reading here or watching youtube cut open vid's.

I am not smart enough to know if the skyactiv requires something special regarding lubrication filters.

However if its anything other than hole side facing directly up, get one with a silicone ADBV.
Even a filter mounted in that orientation will benefit from an ADBV. There are hardly any filters these days that don't have an ADBV.

For my family's Hondas I usually use a Honda OEM or Fram Ultra for 2 oil changes (as specified in service manual from Honda). If you change it every oil change you would be fine on a Fram Orange can or SuperTech filter.

You could easily leave the amsol one on for 3 changes unless it’s a really grimy mess inside. I would turn the old ultra 2 no so sure about te “new improved” one.

Read the marketing claims and pick the filter that makes you feel the best.

Back