Oil filter micron vs flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a remanufactured Cat C-12 put in my semi truck and the filter Cat calls for is 1R-0716. Cat doesn't publish filter specs anymore and this filter is listed as "standard efficiency", it crosses to a Donaldson P554005 and is listed as 40u absolute. On the previous engine I used a Cat 1R-1808 "high efficiency" filter with no issues. The 1808 crosses to a Donaldson P551808 21u absolute. What I'm getting at is that I would like to use the Donaldson DBL7505 15u absolute microglass filter but was advised that it could restrict oil flow and cause damage to the engine. I would like to stick with 10-w30 oil thinking that it will flow better through the 7505 than 15w-40. Will oil grade make much of a difference with this filter? There will be a warranty with this engine for four years and unlimited mileage but I'm hoping to keep it in good condition for longer than four years which is why I'm interested in a lower micron filter. Also I will let oil samples determine my oci, but will start at 10k miles and go from there. I don't plan to extend my oci by more than the Cat recommendation until the warranty is expired but I do plan to install a bypass oil filter setup before that.

I posted documentation some time back from Cummins/Fleetguard on this subject but the general gist is that by going to a depth filtration glass media from conventional cellulose, you are able to maintain or even increase flow, while increasing efficiency. So I wouldn't be worried about the higher efficiency Donaldson product causing you any issues. Donaldson also lists flow data typically, though sometimes it can be a bit of a bugger to locate.

Filter Cat calls for and the bypass setup. Why second guess for a new engine.

I had 3406B,C,E also had C15s, and one C12. Along with Cummins and Macks.

Here is my advise on your new reman.

Use CAT filters right from the start. Use whatever oil the reman company specs.

Do an oil analysis at 5K or sooner.

Look for fuel, coolant and silicon. On a reman engine what can get you in trouble is improper installed injectors, pump, leaking head gaskets, liners, waterpumps, oil cooler and air piping.

Once you have figured out you have a solid engine then you can move around with oils and filters.. but all that kitty needs is fresh fuel and clean air.

I have used NAPA, Baldwin, Luberfiner, CAT and Mack Filters..

Rotella, Spirax, Valvoline, NAPA, Traveller and Mobil oils...

None made any real difference to the bottom line.

Thanks for the advice everyone. An early oil sample does indeed sound like a good idea. Would it also be advisable to change the oil and filter at the time of the sample of 5k or sooner?

If I recall right, most CAT filters use Donaldson media.

Don't remember if those were lube or fuel filters though.

Originally Posted by Axle
Thanks for the advice everyone. An early oil sample does indeed sound like a good idea. Would it also be advisable to change the oil and filter at the time of the sample of 5k or sooner?

First i would look to see what the reman company recommends. Since you have a warranty, i would document and keep a receipt book for all fluids.

It wouldnt hurt anything to change the oil and filter, also to cut open the filter to assure its not eating bearings.

This engine was remanufactured by Caterpillar. This is not an in-frame overhaul, this is a completely different engine. Would that make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back