OIL FILTER MAGNETS....WORTH SPENDING THE MONEY ON?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Why wouldn't the oil filter catch the metal that a magnet would catch?

The black magnetic "sludge" on the magnetic drain plug I posted is too fine for an normal oil filter to catch.

It's probably super small particles due to normal wear from ferrous metals inside the engine (cam, crankshaft, cylinder walls, rings, etc). Is is too fine to do harm? ... who knows.

I've been told "super fine" particles don't harm the engine; I can't recall the microns. But I suspect an oil filter to do it's job to filter out anything large enough to cause premature engine damage.

Just because we see the sludge on a magnet, doesn't mean the filter wouldn't have caught it too.

I've been told "super fine" particles don't harm the engine; I can't recall the microns. But I suspect an oil filter to do it's job to filter out anything large enough to cause premature engine damage.

I think I've read studies where particles as small as 10 microns can do harm. Most filters will not catch many 10 micron particles ... many will go through the media.

Just because we see the sludge on a magnet, doesn't mean the filter wouldn't have caught it too.

I does mean those are the ones the filter didn't catch. IMO, having a magnetic drain plug, or a magnet on the filter can't do any harm, and they do help catch crud the filter can't. If you don't want to use one, then don't.

I agree. My opinion is anything in the oil that doesn't belong there no matter what the size can cause wear over time. Give water enough time and it will cut through stone. 600 grit sandpaper as fine as it is can damage paint. Fine ferrous metal can ruin bearings and other engine parts given enough time. The more junk removed from oil the better. Granted magnets only trap ferrous metal, they still offer some benefit, which is why I use them.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I think I've read studies where particles as small as 10 microns can do harm. Most filters will not catch many 10 micron particles ... many will go through the media.

Yup...just read 60% of engine wear is caused by 5-10 microns. However, I also read 60% of engine wear is during startup.

Statistics are funny.

The question would then be, how long doe it take for there to be enough 5-10 micron particles in the oil to start causing damage? My guess is some time after 3,000 miles. And this can probably be proven with UOA; notice that all oils perform extremely well in the low mileage range.

Another route to take is a bypass filter.

To me, if you are ultimately concerned about lubrication, cleanliness, filter performance, and additive depletion...the simple answer is to change your oil accordingly to severe driving conditions (every 1500 miles on some vehicles).

Jake

90% of all wear is unavoidable. You may alter the other 10% and a slight portion of the unavoidable stuff to the point where the lower sized particles participate in the 90%. The

Quote:
Would these magnets pull the metallic additives out of the oil itself, possibly increasing wear?

Currently I know of no ferrous additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back