Oil Filter Flow rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone post the current oil filter brand flow rates. I know filtration is
important, but I vaguely remember info from years ago that the fram orange
cans were restrictive. Currently reconsidering purolator usage.

There is no filter I'm aware of, when used in the proper application, that is "restrictive" to a point where it would matter in the slightest. That is internet mythogolgy.

Most filters will flow approximately 2x more lube than your engine would be able to produce, given that pumps are postive displacement, even at max rpm.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Can anyone post the current oil filter brand flow rates. I know filtration is
important, but I vaguely remember info from years ago that the fram orange
cans were restrictive. Currently reconsidering purolator usage.

Well, the rumor that PureOne filters were restrictive has been around for years. Here's proof they are not. +1 on what newton said above. Any decent filter made today will be right along these same Flow vs PSID lines withing +/- a couple of PSID ... which a positive displacement oil pump doesn't care about.

Only time that it would make a difference is a more restrictive oil filter caused the oil pump to hit pressure relief sooner, and once the pump is in pressure relief then the oil flow would be reduced slightly because the oil flow would be pressure dependent instead of positive displacement dependent.

Link: Proof that Purolators are Not Restrictive

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Here's an OLD thread where guys were trying to do the same thing that Purolator did in their lab to determine flow resistance and collect comparative data between oil filters.

Link: Homemade Delta-P Test Device

Originally Posted By: steveh
Tough Guard on page 4 looks very restrictive.

It does, and the Motorcraft isn't far behind. Keep in mind these tests were done 11 years ago, so hard to say how the filters have changed over that time period.

Link: Link to Post Showing Comparitive Delta-P

I'd like to hear from Motorking on present day flow vs delta-p data for the Fram filters. He gave numbers for the Ultra a while back and it flowed very well, as it should being a full synthetic media.

I wish i had a restriction gage in the car ,so i knew (like on big rig we have a gage in the engine bay crude but have u know when its time to change (and no its not when its dirty lol)

If you read the first post in that delta-p testing thread, you see that they are using room temperature oil and setting the flow to obtain 40 PSI on the inlet side of the filter. I haven't read every post in that thread, but I think they later on tried to modify the test to try and control the flow rate to be the same through all the filters, which is the best way to compare their flow resistance at a fixed flow volume and oil temp/viscosity.

If they were just adjusting the electric motor that drives the positive displacement oil pump to achieve 40 PSI on the inlet of the filter without controlling the flow volume, then the filters that showed a larger delta-p might have had a lot more oil flow going through them, and that was the cause of the larger delta-p.

^^^ This post sums up the way the testing should have been done. The more I read that threads, the more I don't think the delta-p data you are seeing is really representative of the filters as I mentioned before.

Link

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It does, and the Motorcraft isn't far behind. Keep in mind these tests were done 11 years ago, so hard to say how the filters have changed over that time period.

I'd like to hear from Motorking on present day flow vs delta-p data for the Fram filters. He gave numbers for the Ultra a while back and it flowed very well, as it should being a full synthetic media.

Info on the fram ultra? Could you share?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Info on the fram ultra? Could you share?

Start reading this thread from this post:
Link: Motorking Gives FU Flow Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back