OIl filter design and Filtermag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a filtermag and was thinking about getting another one when I started to also think about the design of an oil filter inside the can.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong as a newbie) when an oil filter hits bypass at x psi, it slides the media down (or up) to allow it to bypass the filter media and flow back in to the engine.

A filtermag has uber strong magnets that cover 1/2 the can. So can the filtermag itself move the filter media with metal end caps in to bypass slightly or prevent it from going in to bypass once the media fills? Or do I not understand how it all works and a filtermag would not get in the way at all.

After cutting open a few filters on my old bike (Yamaha FZ6) and car, I know that the magnets are picking up metal out of the oil. I am just hoping that is not at the expense of filter operating as it should...

I don't believe the media itself moves when the filter bypasses. Rather, a valve opens up and allows oil to short-circuit the filter around the media. I don't believe a magnet on the side of the filter would affect that.

+1 After researching Filter-Mags before my purchase, I understand their testing has proven that the Filtermag does not impede the function of the bypass or the anti-drain back valves on quality oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't believe the media itself moves when the filter bypasses. Rather, a valve opens up and allows oil to short-circuit the filter around the media. I don't believe a magnet on the side of the filter would affect that.

Some filters, notably WIX, have a bypass that moves the media. There is no way a magnet would do it. It's a heavy spring, and the magnetic field is very diminished by the can but also, the magnet would need to be on the dome end to do it.

FWIW, the filter doesn't bypass when it hits a certain psi. It bypasses when there is a psi differential from input to output, which happens when there is a flow restriction due to a clogged filter, or possibly high flow and very thick oil. Bypassing oil doesn't happen often, preferably never.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Some filters, notably WIX, have a bypass that moves the media. There is no way a magnet would do it. It's a heavy spring, and the magnetic field is very diminished by the can but also, the magnet would need to be on the dome end to do it.

FWIW, the filter doesn't bypass when it hits a certain psi. It bypasses when there is a psi differential from input to output, which happens when there is a flow restriction due to a clogged filter, or possibly high flow and very thick oil. Bypassing oil doesn't happen often, preferably never.

Well said!

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking that on something like a Purolator, when it hit bypass the pressure on the media pushed the entire filter cartridge down against the spring allowing it to bypass back in to the engine at the engine side of the can.

If the bypass is a valve at the spring at the dome end itself, then the magnets should not get in the way. My worry was that the magnets would hold the media cartridge by the end caps in place not allowing the bypass to function.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Some filters, notably WIX, have a bypass that moves the media.
I have never heard of the method where the media moves. Do you mean the entire filtration cartridge with end caps moves up and down in the can? This would be certain Wix applications?

Quote:
I was thinking that on something like a Purolator, when it hit bypass the pressure on the media pushed the entire filter cartridge down against the spring allowing it to bypass back in to the engine at the engine side of the can.

Are you refering to the big piece of spring steel in the dome end? That would be there to hold the element tightly against the base. It woudl not give during pressure because the oil pressure does not push on the top cap of the element, but pushes against the filter media. There should be a bypass valve in a small housing at the center of the dome, like this:
29mnkp4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back