Oil Filter Cutter

I searched the forum for Oil Filter Cutters with no luck. I know I can use a hack saw to cut the filter but I noticed those nifty cutters that do a better job. What brand is your favorite cutter and about how much does it cost? Thanks SF

My wife bought me the JEGS filter cutter ($40) for Christmas. I've only cut open a handful so far, but it does the job. I'm sure the more expensive ones are nice too. I'm going to be cutting maybe 10 or so a year so I think it'll do just fine for my purposes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: THafeez
Longacre. Buy once cry once.
I agree! Bought one and as much as I use it, it should last the rest of my life.

Originally Posted By: nicklx
Originally Posted By: THafeez
Longacre. Buy once cry once.
I agree! Bought one and as much as I use it, it should last the rest of my life.
+1 I like mine. It is fast, efficient and does not cause other damage.

I have the Jegs cutter. I do not recommend it. The blade is not very hard and gets damaged easily. I have tube cutters at work that I use to cut hundreds of 301 1/2 hard steel and the blades look 10x better than my jegs blade after 3 filters.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I like the Longacre I purchased several years ago. Made several improvement to the cutter wheel arrangement.
Haven't you seen all the DENSO you need to see? laugh

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I like the Longacre I purchased several years ago. Made several improvement to the cutter wheel arrangement.
What kind of improvements have you made to the cutting wheel arrangement?

blupupher

Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Harbor Freight pip cutter,$9.95 ,last you a lifetime!
Not any more. The # 3 Pipe cutter has been discontinued for quite a few years. I have a Glennco Filter cutter I got off of e-bay for ~$40. It is OK, but the Longacre is the cream of the crop.