Oil fill tube for GM 6.6L gas L8T

I just changed the oil in my 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 with the L8T 6.6 gas engine. Since the engine sits down and back compared to my other trucks I have to stand on a 3 step ladder just to fill the oil. Mine came with only a cap in the drivers side valve cover. Since it was just a cap there was nothing to support a funnel making it hard to stand on the ladder, lean in, hold the funnel and pour a 5 qt jug all at the same time. Using a long trans funnel helped a little but I still had to hold onto it.
I looked around and managed to find a fill tube that fits into the cover raising the cap about 3 inches and making it easier to hold the funnel in place.
The GM part # is 12668614 I got mine from Rockauto for less than $5.

Really nice truck you got there.;) I'm pretty happy with it's cousin.

Thanks for the heads up, I changed the oil once and went through the same thing. Looks like Amazon has it for $6.56 with free shipping.

Edit: I just took a look at my truck and it already has the extension. Wonder if you could stack 2?

Was your oil cap a really tight fit between the coil packs without the extension?

Last edited:
I just remembered that when I brought the truck home I took the plastic covers off of the valve covers and put them on a shelf. Rodent wire damage is a big concern here. With the covers on the cap is probably flush with the cover so you did stack 2 probably.

The cover on mine is plastic (or as GM likes to call it, composite)
The cap screwed right into the plastic cover, I never looked any further than that, I just screwed the riser into the place where the cap was and put the cap into the top of the riser. I never paid attention to the way the cover was configured.

I hate the sky high hood lines on the new trucks. They should come with a step ladder and place to store it on the truck.

Here's what it looks like under the cover. It looks like that exact extension to go from the actual valve cover to the bottom of the plastic cover. I'm getting one, I'm 6'1" and can't reach the oil cap.
valve cover.jpg

I hate the sky high hood lines on the new trucks. They should come with a step ladder and place to store it on the truck.

Yeah they're tall. I never had a lifted truck before and now I'm finding out why. Side steps are necessary.

I went out to the barn this morning and looked closely at mine and you are exactly right. I just didnt pay much attention to it but it made total sense when you told me about it.
I literally have to stand on the top of a 3 step ladder to reach the cap. I carry that ladder with me when we travel otherwise I would never be able to check the oil. The side steps are nice in the rear but for a guy with a bum knee they are just for show since they are too high off the ground for me to use :rolleyes:

I have had my truck for exactly a year, my wife has driven it exactly zero times. She used to drive our 2018 1500 Silverado all the time and she like it, this one is too big for her, she is scared of it. If it wasnt for the 5th wheel I wouldnt have a truck this big.

I have had my truck for exactly a year, my wife has driven it exactly zero times.

That's too bad. My wife likes driving the big truck. We did 1500 mile and 800 mile trips this past summer and she probably drove 40% of it, pulling the trailer. Only scared me a couple of times.

I think one of those folding plastic steps might be the ticket, just keep it under the back seat.
step.jpg

Back