oil extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
So I take it that there are certain things about the real world performance of certain oils that some members here know without going to all the trouble of testing. Is this a theme that pops up every now and then?

What is the point of this thread? That website is junk and tells a discerning consumer everything he needs to know about the product. There are too many *very* well tested, high quality, reputable oils on the market to mess with this clown show.

Quote:
So I take it that there are certain things about the real world performance of certain oils that some members here know without going to all the trouble of testing. Is this a theme that pops up every now and then?

It Was discussed and analyzed over 10 years ago and found seriously wanting with many bogus claims and conditions.

However, feel free to purchase it, run it in your favorite mule, and prove to us how much better it is than SuperTech and how much it costs.

BTW, Terry Dyson is NOT a chemist or tribologist.

Last edited:
That and all those racing records were probably done with mobil 0w40 and an oil extreme sticker on the car.

Still counts!

Originally Posted By: Justin251
You're already using a boutique oil in an 84 civic.

I say order it.

I don't use a boutique oil, I use Red Line. I would not put Red Line in the same category as an oil that makes outrageous claims.

I say order it.

I don't use a boutique oil, I use Red Line. I would not put Red Line in the same category as an oil that makes outrageous claims.

I'm sure you pay an outrageous price for it.

Originally Posted By: maximus

I say order it.

I'm sure you pay an outrageous price for it.

I pay about $9/quart from the Fallbrook Oil Company. My 4Runner gets worked hard. It often pulls a heavy double axle trailer with loads up to 5K pounds and spends a lot of it's life in the desert on dirt roads that you would never try in a regular automobile. Recently the ambient temps have been around 100F or a bit higher. The a/c is run full blast. The oil level on the dipstick does not move any amount you can see between oil changes at almost 150K miles, so far. This oil and the 4.7 V8 are a very good combination. I think that $9 a quart is a bargain and is but a very small part of the overall cost of running this vehicle.

Most owners should run the cheapest oil they can find because they don't keep their vehicles more than 5 years and these vehicles don't see severe service unless it's very cold outside and then the body usually wears out before the engine.

The cheapest API cert oil today, is probably better than the very best oil 20 years ago.

Has anyone tested this stuff or used it? Or does everyone just know that it's junk? Is this something that everyone just automatically knows? Just asking. I've never used it and was just wondering.

I understand that their claims to special chemistry look a little outdated but how does this stuff work in the real world?

Really? You think this miracle fluid has been overlooked for all these years?

I say order it.

Boutique has more to do with availability and high price than it does performance or any outrageous claims. Red Line is a good product that happens to be boutique.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I say order it.

Boutique has more to do with availability and high price than it does performance or any outrageous claims. Red Line is a good product that happens to be boutique.

Yes. I agree. I think royal purple, amsoil, and redline are boutique because of availability. Not the claims. They are good products.

Royal purple maybe a bit less now as its at all the auto stores and walmart but still outrageously priced.

I don't pay more than $4 a quart. Conventional or synthetic. IMHO there isn't an oil out there worth more than that for a passenger car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back