Oil extractors?

Originally Posted by benjy
a waste of $$ for simple oil changes, but may be helpful for tranny + differentials. i change engine oil HOT + lift the vehicle according to get the drain plug as low as possible, + dont be in a hurry if possible letting as much as dirty oil drain.

How much did you spend on yours, and why do you think it was a waste of $$?

I fabbed on myself after picking a motorized (110v) pump at a closeout or bankruptcy for less then $5 and attached a thin plastic hose to inlet (I have diesel Benz that is designed for topsider). Working well for years and plan on passing it on to next owner when I sell.

I have a OME and it works great. I use it for power steering fluid, brake fluid, changing oil on mowers, power washer, generator. Definitely worth the investment. I just dump the oil in my catch can and put it back in the box for future use.

Just bought this unit (Link) from HF. Some say I'm crazy, but looking at the unit it's well assembled and the fittings are all replaceable with easily obtainable parts. It's basically a Mityvac copy, we'll see how it goes. Going to try it out next weekend when the oil change kit comes in for the GTI. Plan to use it on the GTI, Tacoma, Mercedes, and a co-workers Passat.

if you have a big enough shop vac, you can put a gallon or 5qt jug inside, run the plastic tubing (ice maker line) into the shop vac hose outlet and use a plastic bottle top to plug it. no mess at all

or get a 5 gallon bucket and lid, install ice maker line on one side, and shop vac hose to the other side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk46vCOGTFI

Just bought this unit (Link) from HF. Some say I'm crazy, but looking at the unit it's well assembled and the fittings are all replaceable with easily obtainable parts. It's basically a Mityvac copy, we'll see how it goes. Going to try it out next weekend when the oil change kit comes in for the GTI. Plan to use it on the GTI, Tacoma, Mercedes, and a co-workers Passat.
How did it do? Took me til I was 70yo to figure there must be a better way than the old way.

I was about to make a topic . For this . Was going to change the front diff fluid . The cover is in tight spot . I was gonna find a tool to pump all or most oil out without air compressor . Any suggest ?

I have a Topsider, but haven't used it for years.
You may have trouble opening it, unless you put some lube or anti-seize on the caps before putting it away. Happened to me, and I had to pitch it.

My Topsider worked beautifully on my cars designed for dipstick oil extraction, the W126 and W202 Mercedes. The Buick Park Avenue was not; I tried. The Buick Regal with the 2.4L 4-cyl., I heard rumors that it was possible to change the oil that way, but nobody I talked to had ever tried it. I still don't know about the LaCrosse. And in any case removing its filter would still require getting under the car.

Seems like a reasonable way to keep changing your own oil, especially for those who physically are having a difficult time getting under the vehicle, also useful when skipping a filter change or have a filter that can be reached from above. Heard a lot of Mercedes Benz shops routinely use them. I use an extractor to side-slip some transmission fluid once per year.
My preferred shop in Denver had a powered extractor that drew the oil out quickly and easily, and that was more than 20 years ago.

You may have trouble opening it, unless you put some lube or anti-seize on the caps before putting it away. Happened to me, and I had to pitch it.

My Topsider worked beautifully on my cars designed for dipstick oil extraction, the W126 and W202 Mercedes. The Buick Park Avenue was not; I tried. The Buick Regal with the 2.4L 4-cyl., I heard rumors that it was possible to change the oil that way, but nobody I talked to had ever tried it. I still don't know about the LaCrosse. And in any case removing its filter would still require getting under the car.
Ya.. I tossed it because I had no use for it any time in the near future and figured it would've required new seals.

I have a Topsider and use it for extracting oil from mowers, pressure washers, front and rear diff's with no drain plugs. It's particularly useful on transmissions with no drain plug before you drop a pan or are doing fluid exchange after a pan drop. I have used mine lot's and lots. On a modern Ford F150 4x4 front diff, with out taking out the steering rack that's the only way to remove the fluid, with an extractor. There are so many uses for one if you are the type of person that likes to change fluids, or do it for a living.

Back