Oil extractor pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went ahead and bought a pump. Going to try it soon. Not sure if it is going to make the oil change easier.

CIMG0300.JPG

Last edited:
I have the manual pump type of oil extractor from Griots Garage (got it free) . It works really well for certain projects. It will not work on my 2018 F150 2.7L ecoboost, as there is no way to get the tube to the bottom of the oil pan. Ford did a great job making a plastic oil drain plug, that needs no tools. Unfortunately, one must first remove the extremely flexible fibermesh, pressed-oatmeal+wool, splash guard, which is held on by 4 cantankerous (and already rusty) bolts. Bolts that take about 39 turns to remove.

In any case, it's good to remember that the oil should not be cold or hot when using an extractor. A 5 minute idle warm up is probably good in most locations.

Goes back to that old viscosity factor we hear about on here
smile.gif

Cold Molasses is far more difficult than warmed up maple syrup.

It should be interesting to see how well it works. My first concern was about the oil temperature - obviously cold oil could present a problem, but I'd think it can't be hot either?

I have a MityVac that has served pretty well but is showing wear. Where the top is attached the white plastic is cracking and a couple of years ago it stopped pumping until I took it apart and cleaned it and fixed some leaks. If I buy another of that type, I will be sure to get the kind with the pump external to the reservoir.

Good luck with that. Looks like a great way to frustrate yourself while draining your battery.

I've got a MityVac 7300 and I use it every chance I get.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have the manual pump type of oil extractor from Griots Garage (got it free) . It works really well for certain projects. It will not work on my 2018 F150 2.7L ecoboost, as there is no way to get the tube to the bottom of the oil pan. Ford did a great job making a plastic oil drain plug, that needs no tools. Unfortunately, one must first remove the extremely flexible fibermesh, pressed-oatmeal+wool, splash guard, which is held on by 4 cantankerous (and already rusty) bolts. Bolts that take about 39 turns to remove.

In any case, it's good to remember that the oil should not be cold or hot when using an extractor. A 5 minute idle warm up is probably good in most locations.

Can you modify it by cutting a square hole where the drain plug is and oil filter? I've done that before and it saved me the hassle of removing covers before.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Good luck with that. Looks like a great way to frustrate yourself while draining your battery.

I've got a MityVac 7300 and I use it every chance I get.

I use a MityVac too...use it for transmissions, diffs, etc. I don't actually use it much for oil because it's quicker for me to just drain it.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by Cujet
Unfortunately, one must first remove the extremely flexible fibermesh, pressed-oatmeal+wool, splash guard, which is held on by 4 cantankerous (and already rusty) bolts. Bolts that take about 39 turns to remove.

Can you modify it by cutting a square hole where the drain plug is and oil filter? I've done that before and it saved me the hassle of removing covers before.

I guess the answer really is probably not. The oil drain plug located by the transmission bell housing and just aft of the front lip of the transmission splash shield. Cutting away the front of the splash shield would weaken or eliminate it's functional lip that holds the front edge up.

Ok, guys, I have changed the oil with this pump. There are positive and negative things about it. The pump itself worked very well. It took only 2 -3 minutes to remove the oil from the sump. And it is convenient that I don't need to get under the car. No mess. But there is a problem: about 1 litre of oil was left in the engine. I tried to bend the inlet tube a little at different angles, and it did not help. And, yes, the oil has to be warm, but not hot. The manual says 40-50 degrees.

I have this "pump", and have somewhat abused it. I believe it says in the instructions for oil use only.

I have used this for transmission fluid and front diff fluid on my Ecoboost f150. It has been used to extract and refill, and it's much better than using the hand pump you put on top of the one quart bottles. My f150 only has a short dipstick on the transmission case under the truck, so it really helps for me, and the front diff drain plug is impossible to get to without dropping some parts on the front end.

The downsides of this pump. Must be hooked up to a battery source as it has two clamps that you put on the positive and negative of a better terminal. I personally use my HF battery jump pack and it works well. One problem I have with this pump, probably from my abuse, is it leaks whatever fluid I'm extracting from the breather holes on the yellow part of the motor body. Probably about 10 drops Everytime I use it.

What should you take away front my reply? If you need something too move fluids around quickly in tight spots, this may do well for you if the price is to your liking. I think the price was around $15. I hate using the hand pump, so this works well for my need.

I use the HF pump for a wide range of fluids.

Fantastic on my cars that I don't drain. After extracting, I've checked by removing the drain plug anyway. Not a drop came out from the drain.

I like the oil completely hot. Evacuates 8 quarts of hot oil in about 70-90 seconds.

The only thing that bugs me about the extractor pumps.....and this isn't saying they don't get everything, is when I pull the drain plug, anything that is on the bottom of the pan, will likely be carried out by the old oil.

I will also pour about 1/4-1/2 at of some cheaper synthetic oil once the old oil is out, just to finish clearing out what may be around the drain hole.

Overkill perhaps, but it's more of a peace of mind thing.

I've heard a lot of concerns over extraction vs. drain, but I can tell you from pulling apart marine engines that have seen 20-30 years of nothing but extraction that there is nothing interesting going on in there.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I use the HF pump for a wide range of fluids.

Fantastic on my cars that I don't drain. After extracting, I've checked by removing the drain plug anyway. Not a drop came out from the drain.

I like the oil completely hot. Evacuates 8 quarts of hot oil in about 70-90 seconds.

Which HF pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back