Oil Extractor -Hand Pump - Anyone use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have good experiences with a handpump oil extractors? I'm looking to purchase one mostly for small engine equipment, mowers, snowblowers, etc. This seems to be a pretty decent one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_390306_390306?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication-_-Oil%20Extractors-_-33226&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=33226&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=33226&gclid=CJe73cW6u8ECFY-EaQodX6sAfw

I have the harbor freight one.

It's a bit frustrating when pumping cold gear oil as it just blows the lines off. But for pumping motor oil it works great!

I've used the really inexpensive hand pump for many years on my 4-cycle lawn mower engines...the one that's supposed to thread onto a gear oil bottle. Works great for all sorts of uses...one of which is easily evacuating the oil sump on a lawn mower. I think I paid 10 bucks for it at Pep Boys 10 years ago...

I have a Pella oil extractor that I bought 8 years ago when I had a TDI Jetta. It works great for vehicle engine oil changes as well as mowers, pressure washers, dirt bikes, etc.

Highly recommend one. On my Jetta it allowed me to get quite a bit more oil out of the filter housing that otherwise would've been left in the engine.

I use the harbor freight one too. I'm on my second one. First one only did a few jobs then stopped sealing and wouldn't pump. I use them for atf suck and fills only.

Amsoil makes a nice hand pump, I would recommend that one.

Also if you want something nice look into 12v electric marine oil change pumps. They are much faster. Quality varies wildly.

Just steal the pump off of your wife's shampoo bottle and put a foot of clear tubing on the end of it and go to town!

Actually, I've saved the last 3 pumps off of my shower gel containers and now have one for brake, power steering, and gear/trans/motor oil.

I bought the HF one for gear oil changes, but I plan on using it for the 13hp honda on the pressure washer too. Its a messy pain to turn sideways and drain.

I also have an electric one from Northern Tool that works pretty good.. It just uses a lot of power. It killed my battery from an ATF drain.. I just hook it up to the running tractor now and go to town.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back