Oil extractor and filter relocator kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Allan says he uses one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-5971-Easy-Access-Change/dp/B000BQ08QO. Anybody else try one? Any issues with having a hose run from below the oil pan up into the engine compartment? I wonder if having the oil filter above the engine like that would cause any flow issues? I suppose there is the possiblity that the oil would drain back down into the pan if your ADBV wasn't working properly and you had the filter mounted on the side or upside down. Also, I'd be a bit paranoid about bottoming out on something and tearing the hose down there, but other than that it seems like a neat idea.

Too many parts to install and to fail.

I have the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus for more than 5 years, easy to extract oil through dipstick specially for European cars, one time cost and can be used on many cars/SUV's ...

Quote:
I wonder if having the oil filter above the engine like that would cause any flow issues?

There's no mandate that you mount the filter high. You mount it where it's more easily accessible. This assumes that your filter is difficult to remove.

Quote:
Also, I'd be a bit paranoid about bottoming out on something and tearing the hose down there

The hose should have no different profile than the drain plug. The OEM drain plug is removed and replaced by a banjo bolt. It may add a few extended mm's to the OEM plug's depth (assuming it's on the bottom facing the ground).

I could not duplicate the banjo bolt and hose for (almost) the cost of the kit. It would make a great hose just for bypass filter installation.

The pump itself comes in real handy for manual transmissions and differentials.

On my wife's 2003 Impala I find it very hard to reach the filter to get it on or off. I have to take off the plastic air dam under the car in order to be able to reach up from underneath to get at it. Adds 15 minutes or so to the process. The drain plug is easy to reach, but I still thought it might be neat to have a system that allowed you to drain the oil without running the car up on ramps.

First thing I would do is figure out where you're going to mount the remote filter. You can mount it up high, but if you look around, you should be able to soft fasten it to (something like) around/below the master cylinder and lash it with zip ties. That way you can move it to put a pan under it to change the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back