Oil consumption - Synth vs. Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
I'm suprised no one mentioned the fact that M-1 is gunking up a PCV valve at 3k intervals. Maybe it is only because of the poor seal though. Am I the only one starting to lose a bit of faith in Mobil 1?
confused.gif

No faith lost here either in it's ability to protect and keep a CAR motor clean and to run up the miles on the interval.
If it was my car I would clean the factory Valve or buy a new factory PCV Valve and try again,these MUST fit snug and aftermarkets are a bit generic .
I know that alot of Miata owners are giving the motors more leed in a effort to gain a horspower or so,,if it is snapping the knock sensor they will burn more oil. The one in our family has never burned any to speak of,always full on the dipstick and has a 10 year old Factory PCV Valve that has been cleaned a couple times.One V/C gasket because it was leaking into the spark plug wells.

[ February 08, 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

M1 shouldn't be contributing unless this engine needs something heavier to reduce blowby. A compression test might be useful.

I check PCV's annually but admit that's a little paranoid.

David

I think PCV valves are a bit more simple a device then you guys a making them out to be. The only way it would allow more oil consumption is if the valve wasn't closing under high vacuum/deceleration/part throttle, and excessive vacuum in the crankcase was sucking out a lot of oil. If you shake the valve and it rattles, then it's fine, especially a brand new one. They won't seal perfectly, it's a light metal to metal seal. Hell, routinly buying new ones is not needed, a little carb/throttle body cleaner will clean them right up. And I would think Mobil 1 would help keep the PCV tract free of depsoits as it doesn't create deposits as much as dino oil does. Who knows!

PCV valve is oem. Not sure why it's not as snug as I feel it should be. Another PCV valve is on its way. I'll see if that's any better.

Throttle body is clean, as I did this a little while ago. Not sure if that's related to the oil consumption. Then again, this consumption could have been going on for longer than I think, as I wasn't that consistent with checking the level. You can bet I'm better at that now though.

The PCV valve in the Miata is a plastic piece fitting into a rubber grommet on the cam cover, so the seal should be tight, as long as the grommet is not worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back