Oil consumption on my Toyota 22r only at full thro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I could see the oil never really warming up idling in traffic but that's alot of heat to dissipate into the oil.

Again, I'm short on authoritative explanation, but I think it's the other way around. I think that cooling the oil a few degrees unloads the cooling jackets a disproportional amount. Oil temp, for the most part, is the excess heat of the combustion process. With an oil temp gauge right off of the filter, you can watch the temp back right down (over (as much as 15F, in my experience) when you let your foot off the gas pedal from highway speeds. It will then take xx miles to bring it back up to peak normalized temp. Forced cooling of the oil may create some trap door. The oil is in direct contact with the pistons.

Again, I'm at a loss for intelligent explanation. It's just the observed effects.
21.gif

Crusader

Does your filter stud unscrew? Most do if the filter boss is cast into the block. Some have a separate cast piece.

If so, and the internal threads are 3/4-16 like the external threads, the a VW laminar oil cooler will work. It doesn't use an extension bolt, but rather a double threaded nipple. Otherwise, it's hit and miss for a used Ford unit off of Ebay.

If your wallet is fatter, any MOPAR dealer should be able to sell you a new unit. Just ask for the oil cooler from a 2005 Grand Caravan with HD towing package. You should be able to get it for around $135+/-. Ebay units, used, are usually around $50.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Crusader

Does your filter stud unscrew? Most do if the filter boss is cast into the block. Some have a separate cast piece.

If so, and the internal threads are 3/4-16 like the external threads, the a VW laminar oil cooler will work. It doesn't use an extension bolt, but rather a double threaded nipple. Otherwise, it's hit and miss for a used Ford unit off of Ebay.

If your wallet is fatter, any MOPAR dealer should be able to sell you a new unit. Just ask for the oil cooler from a 2005 Grand Caravan with HD towing package. You should be able to get it for around $135+/-. Ebay units, used, are usually around $50.

I have no clue if I can remove the filter stud at this point. I never was able to change the oil last weekend. Since I'm not on the freeway all that much except for 10-15 min short periods at or near full throttle am I really going to gain much by running a cooler? If I was going to go for longer trips on the freeway I could see spending the $ on a cooler.

So is the oil being consumed due to viscosity breakdown and excessive heat or is there some other pathway of escape on the 22r engine? .... such as valve seals? When I added Delo 400 15w-40 last I also added some Valvoline Synpower engine treatment.

I picked up a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage as well as a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 15w-50. Between these 2 oil which one should I opt for?

When I was at Wally World I did not notice much oil that was 20w-50 except for some Quaker State High Mileage and that was over $4 a quart so I thought for a few cent more I can run Mobil 1 15w-50?

If in fact this is a heat torture application for any oil would it not be best to run synthetic over dino?

**update**

I still have the 22R Toyota Truck and it has a hard life towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Clutch finally went out, head gasket blew and timing chain was replaced by a Toyota Specialty shop. I did run another application of Auto-Rx and that did for time seem to slow down consumption coincidentally along with 20w-50 oil. Truck is a classic of sorts and I have no intention of selling it and its mechanically sounds with less than 160,000 original miles.....but it still consumes oil at a high rate running a full throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back