Oil consumption increases later in OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle is a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD with a 3.7L V6 with approximately 52,000 miles.

Something I've noticed, as well as other owners (as reflected in several threads at Acurazine.com) is moderate to, in my opinion, excessive oil consumption. In some cases, owners have been able to have the short block replaced under warranty.

At any rate, the general consensus is that most people report none to negligible oil consumption during the first 1000 or 2000 miles of the OCI. Thereafter, oil consumption grows and gets worse. In my case I will usually add nothing during the first 1000-2000 or so miles but by the end of the OCI (approx. 6000 miles) I will have added 1.5-2 quarts.

My first thought was that the oil (manufacturer recommended 5w20 - in my case various fully synthetics - Pennzoil Ultra, Platinum, Castrol Edge) is shearing. I concede, that's probably wrong considering my oil analyses (below).

Is this a common phenomenon? Does this just represent the oil not necessarily breaking down but actually breaking in? And any issue with oil consumption is something related to to inherent engine problems?

4FmugDv.jpg

A1bIv4T.jpg

How long have you owned the car? If you owned it since new, how many miles were on the car when the first few oil changes were done?

Will be hard to tell since you are adding make up oil. Try running 5w30 or 10w30 or another weight to see if any difference.

I've only had one oil burner (a '65 Comet with a 289 V8) in 50 years of car ownership, so I don't have that much experience. But that car did exactly the same thing. It wouldn't use oil right after a change but the further I got into the OCI the faster it burned. It smoked a bit so it really was burning oil. I supposed the 10W-30 Esso Extra oil I used in those days was shearing. Not sure what the explanation would be today.

My GTO acted like that with 5w30. It would start around the 2k-3k mark. I'd make it until almost 5k before consumption would happen on 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Try running 5w30 or 10w30 or another weight to see if any difference.

You think the OP would actually do that ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
How long have you owned the car? If you owned it since new, how many miles were on the car when the first few oil changes were done?

I bought the car two years ago this month and it had approximately 29,000 miles. I have no history of the first few oil changes but it had a fresh pan when I bought it.
Will be hard to tell since you are adding make up oil. Try running 5w30 or 10w30 or another weight to see if any difference.

I’m less inclined to do that while still under the factory powertrain warranty for a year and 17,000 miles. Also, other owners have tried that with less than desirable results.
http://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-gener...0/#post15499350
I’m thinking maybe I will run spec until I need to add then I’ll add higher viscosity to top off until I’m outside warranty.
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Very few 5W-20 oils start out under 8.2-8.5 cSt, 7.3 would indicate it's apparently shearing...
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html
I'd probably add 5W-40 when oil is needed...

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I’ll look into this. Why do you think this happens? Does it mean the spec weight is too low? It can’t be the brand because I’ve tried several and other owners have tried many. I’m thinking topping off with 5W-40 might be a good idea for now.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try running 5w30 or 10w30 or another weight to see if any difference.

You think the OP would actually do that ?
grin2.gif

It’s not outside the realm of possibility after the car’s outside warranty.

Follow up question: A member recently reported that Acura is replacing his entire engine (block and heads) because they found valve damage (wouldn’t go any further than that). This member also previously reported severe oil consumption to the point where the oil level indicator lit. He also reported a noise coming from the engine which prompted the dealer to examine the engine.

My thinking is that if the oil is shearing and if consumption increases that perhaps with either insufficient viscosity or insufficient volume of oil, the valves were damaged. The question is whether the lack of volume, due to consumption, is the cause for the damage or if the sheared oil is not preventing the damage itself. In my case, I make sure to check my oil every fill up and I never let it get below the low oil hash mark (it’s usually right in the middle somewhere). I just don’t know of any way to figure out whether engine is inherently flawed or if the spec’d oil is insufficient. I also don’t feel like being the test pig to find out.

Originally Posted By: Progress
Also, other owners have tried that with less than desirable results.
http://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-gener...0/#post15499350

Those are bigger problems than can be caused by a viscosity change from xW20 to xW30.

It sounds like these 3.7 L have a manufacturer defect. There was a BITOGer that had the same problem with his, and was going to xW40 to slow it down.

Viscosity is just a bandaid fix.

Originally Posted By: Progress
I’m less inclined to do that while still under the factory powertrain warranty for a year and 17,000 miles.

10W-30 will provide better lubrication, quieter operation, and eliminate consumption. Win Win Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back