Oil concoction/multiple brands at once

This eludes to an opinion you might have on the subject that is not ambiguous. What is that opinion?
My opinion and practice has been to mix it and run it . In most cases the naysayers have never done it but seem to know a lot about it .

Since oil function depends upon the balance of a specific mixture of components in a specific base oil, mixing various oils results in an unknown performance ability. In my lawnmower? Sure. In an expensive engine? I wouldn't.

My Mercedes takes 8.5 quarts of oil. I usually buy two 5 quart jugs, leaving 1.5 quarts remaining.
I have:
1.5 quarts M1 5w40
3 quarts PPE 0w40
1.5 quarts valvoline euro 5w40
3 quarts castrol 0w40.

What do you think will happen if I pour it all together? Biturbo direct injection engine.
If 34 oils, of different brands and viscosities, were able to survive together in a supercharged V8 engine for an OCI, then I think you have nothing to worry about with your mix.

For me, there are three lines of thought:
- use all that little left over oil and fresh oil at next oil change;
- collect all little left over oils over time in a single jug and use this SUPER BLEND when jug's full on a car of your choice;
- collect left over oil in smaller 1L or 1qt bottles and use for top ups, keep a bottle in trunk for your or another struggler's use.

I don't believe that mixing oils is going to have any kind of catastrophic result, as long as all of the oils meet the requirements of the engine. Think about it this way, every time you switch from one brand of oil to another you're mixing oils, because you're never getting out 100% of the old oil. You're often left with 10-15% of the previous oil still in there.

Since oil function depends upon the balance of a specific mixture of components in a specific base oil, mixing various oils results in an unknown performance ability. In my lawnmower? Sure. In an expensive engine? I wouldn't.
Balance Schmalance! It's all compatible and you can even run the OCI the same amount of miles as normal.
So I made a mistake running my engines 270k on frankenblends - then the engine gets used for thousands & thousands more miles - then supassing 300k ..... and that's wrong?....because of balance?.... hahaha
OMG!
Pay attention to your oil mix - make sure it works according to your Owners Manual specs and don't lose a minute of sleep over it. People running engines like the one inside this thread aren't doing ridiculous OCIs anyways.

So Manual-proper frankenblends don;t work for (hypothetical) 5k OCIs?...... hahaha

Balance Schmalance! It's all compatible and you can even run the OCI the same amount of miles as normal.
So I made a mistake running my engines 270k on frankenblends - then the engine gets used for thousands & thousands more miles - then supassing 300k ..... and that's wrong?....because of balance?.... hahaha
OMG!
Pay attention to your oil mix - make sure it works according to your Owners Manual specs and don't lose a minute of sleep over it. People running engines like the one inside this thread aren't doing ridiculous OCIs anyways.

So Manual-proper frankenblends don;t work for (hypothetical) 5k OCIs?...... hahaha
That is good testimony. 300k, that is a bunch of miles.

But really, what is the value of even mixing the oils. I can see how a comparable would be fine, no issue there, but doing on the regular. It would seem to me that while the practice, in your case, worked, why even waste the time trying. It is far easier to just use the same oil as opposed to making "blends" that would have little on no impact to performance.

Sure, if you find some on sale, and have some left over, sure why not. But to buy multiple oils just to "blend" them is absurd.

Is your "frankenblend" the cause of your engine longevity, likely not.

Well, as far as my suggestion goes, there are different ways to look at it. Since you say all of the oils meet Mercedes 229.5, they should be fine. I don't see any reason why anything negative would come out of it. But you also have to consider what kind of engine it is, high power turbo. By mixing these oils, they will mix but it won't necessarily be the ideal blend for the vehicle. So while I don't think there would be any harm in running it for a shorter interval perhaps. I'm not sure I would drag it out as far as possible if the vehicle was mine.

Now if it was going into something like any of my GM 3800 cars, I would say go for it without even thinking twice. They just need oil in them and couldn't care less which one or what specs it meets. Not sure I would feel the same way in an AMG Mercedes.

The DOJ will be at your house or place of work to take you into custody for trying to destroy the planet! Be careful.
Yet - nothing will happen to your car. Not a thing. Just dont make a habit of mixing oils because they all have different add
packs that may not work well together long term.
Even in Canada we know that the DOJ is weaponized from watching Fox News.

If you are on the cautious side... Just buy one jug of the same brand you already have (castrol 0w40 for example). Pour in those 5qts + the leftovers of the same brand (3 quarts castrol 0w40). Top off with a smidgeon of one of the other brands (M1 5w40). Then you will have almost a full fill of the same oil. Do this again next time with the PPE 0W-40.

In my car I would pour it all in and mix away. Although, I avoid this situation at each oil change by pouring whatever is left of the open oil jug into the engine first, then top off with the new jug.

My Mercedes takes 8.5 quarts of oil. I usually buy two 5 quart jugs, leaving 1.5 quarts remaining.
I have:
1.5 quarts M1 5w40
3 quarts PPE 0w40
3 quarts castrol 0w40.

What do you think will happen if I pour it all together? Biturbo direct injection engine.
Well I'd let it set for a couple of weeks just to make sure it wasn't going to spontaneously ignite! o_O🔥🧯

I have:
1.5 quarts M1 5w40
3 quarts PPE 0w40
3 quarts castrol 0w40.

Been there done that except I used a little bit of every oil sold by an auto parts store, every weight, every brand and then some. Would have been back during the SJ oil rating days.

To me, it is mixing sodas or different brands on water....at the end of the day, the mix quenches my thirst :)

Back