Oil Choice for 2011 Subaru Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone.

Have been searching and reading, and thought I would post to seek the advice of folks here.

Currently have a 2011 Subaru Impreza, just under 50k on the clock. Purchased used less than a year ago, and coming up on my third oil change. Details:

Live in Upstate NY, Change every 5k, 22 miles one way daily for commute, dont drive it very hard.

In the past I have used NAPA synthetic 5w-30 in my vehicles, mostly because I bought multiple cases when I could get it for sub-$3/qt. Never had a problem with it in my previous vehicles. Im not opposed to using it still, but my stash is depleted, and I really dont like the idea of paying full price for a few quarts to match the two I have left in the garage.

Im intending to keep with 5w-30, and am considering Castrol GTX, PYB, and Formula Shell. I used only synthetic in my previous vehicles (Mazda Proteges), and saw a difference in starting and fuel economy. From what I have read the Subaru engine is pretty easy on oil, and will like most anything. Current fill on the car is NAPA synthetic, previous fill was PYB (to get rid of the who-knows-what was in from the dealer).

I have a case of the OEM filters that Im intending to use, so the oil change deals that AAP or the like put out arent all that appealing to me.

So, after this entire novel, just wondering thoughts on those choices of oil, and if there is any truth to the rumor of it being a bad idea to switch back and forth between syn and conventional.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Mobil 1 has a rebate going right now. Probably the best deal on synthetics.

I saw that, and was tempted, but Im worried that the rebate wont apply to the local places that carry it at a reasonable cost.

Amazon has recently gone prime-only for a lot of their oil it seems, and Wal-Mart wasnt on the approved list. I know lots of folks got through on the previous rebate, but Im wondering if they will clamp down on that this time.

Originally Posted By: Clarkbug

I saw that, and was tempted, but Im worried that the rebate wont apply to the local places that carry it at a reasonable cost.

It will apply to Wal-Marts, Advance, and AutoZone...

You might consider the blends like Pennzoil Gold at Wal-Mart for a couple bucks more that conventional. Or even SuperTech syn which meets the Dexos1 spec apparently...

I hope the Mobil1 rebate applies to Walmart. I'm waiting for a rebate check to show up.
As for your (Clarkbug) question about switching from conventional to synthetic, I can't imagine any technical difficulty, since they all have to pass the same identical seal swell tests to get SN and maybe dexos1 too.

Nothing wrong with NAPA synthetic, really its Valvoline there.

Anymore though I say spend just a little more and get the "Extended Performance" advanced oils like M1 EP, and Castrol Edge EP gold jug, all at walmart or amazon in 5 quart jugs. OR, go "super-spec" and get an MB229.5 oil like M1 or Castrol 0w-40 for maximum oil specifications. Get the best.

Also, get a Fram Ultra oil filter since it filters the best, or a Microgreen will also get the tiny stuff out better (ISO 4548-12).

Heard all over that too many Subaru engine consume oil. Does yours? It can be cool if it only consumes 1 quart per 2,000 miles or more, since you can replenish additives/base-oil and go longer on your oil changes that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
I hope the Mobil1 rebate applies to Walmart. I'm waiting for a rebate check to show up.
As for your (Clarkbug) question about switching from conventional to synthetic, I can't imagine any technical difficulty, since they all have to pass the same identical seal swell tests to get SN and maybe dexos1 too.

Anymore though I say spend just a little more and get the "Extended Performance" advanced oils like M1 EP, and Castrol Edge EP gold jug, all at walmart or amazon in 5 quart jugs. OR, go "super-spec" and get an MB229.5 oil like M1 or Castrol 0w-40 for maximum oil specifications. Get the best.

Also, get a Fram Ultra oil filter since it filters the best, or a Microgreen will also get the tiny stuff out better (ISO 4548-12).

Heard all over that too many Subaru engine consume oil. Does yours? It can be cool if it only consumes 1 quart per 2,000 miles or more, since you can replenish additives/base-oil and go longer on your oil changes that way.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812420#Post3812420

You've had good results with Napa synth,I'd just stick with it. Even at regular price ($5 and some change),that's still a good price for what is rebadged Synpower.

For a Subaru I wouldn't go past 3,000 miles between changes. As oil works it picks up contaminants and gets more conductive, part of the Subaru head gasket issue has been related to this. You will have to Google Subaru head gasket electrolysis to get the full picture on it. For my GF car which is a Sub I'm doing 3k OCIs now. I've become more of a Sub fan over the years dealing with her car, 240,000 miles really speaks to me and its still a daily driver. As far as brand its your choice.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Thanks for the input here. Going from Formula Shell to M1 EP is a bit of a jump, eh? And Im not necessarily after something that will let me go for an extended interval, just a good solid oil that will let me run the car until it implodes. Almost everything in my neck of the woods rusts before the engine goes.

Im going to stick with Subaru filters, just because I like the P-gasket instead of the flat cut. Not saying Fram Ultra is bad, but the OEM cant be terrible, and Im still under powertrain warranty, so might as well stop them from having something to point to as a problem, right?

No oil consumption. That really started with the 2011 engines, since it was a redesign (piston rings, I think?) I dont think consumption of a quart in 2000 miles would be cool, at least not to me... But I get what you are saying

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You've had good results with Napa synth,I'd just stick with it. Even at regular price ($5 and some change),that's still a good price for what is rebadged Synpower.

I thought about this also, but for more than $5 a quart, I figured there are better synthetic options out there. Would like to stay below $4/qt if possible, but always willing to make exceptions when warranted.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
For a Subaru I wouldn't go past 3,000 miles between changes. As oil works it picks up contaminants and gets more conductive, part of the Subaru head gasket issue has been related to this. You will have to Google Subaru head gasket electrolysis to get the full picture on it. For my GF car which is a Sub I'm doing 3k OCIs now. I've become more of a Sub fan over the years dealing with her car, 240,000 miles really speaks to me and its still a daily driver. As far as brand its your choice.

Mike,

I have read about the conductivity/acidity issues with the cooling system, but I havent ever heard of them occurring in the oil. Im assuming that someone would need to run tests on virgin oil and then on changed oil to see what level of conductivity might be going on with old oil. But a 3000k interval seems pretty extreme for a N/A engine that is in good shape.

What I had read in regards to oil was any unburned fuel that was a result of the engine not getting good and hot, and starting to eat at the gasket material. I didnt see anything about conductivity, but its certainly a possibility.

If anyone knows how to test for this sort of thing, and if its something I can do with a mulitmeter, Ill be happy to do it when I change this batch of oil to see how much the conductivity changes.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

You might consider the blends like Pennzoil Gold at Wal-Mart for a couple bucks more that conventional. Or even SuperTech syn which meets the Dexos1 spec apparently...

My local Wal-Mart has the Pennzoil Gold Dexos 1 for about a dollar more than the PYB in the 5 quart jug. Its tempting, but I havent ever used the blends before. I also see that Castrol Magnetec in 5w-30 is a blend, but 5w-20 is full syn.

Probably overthinking it, just need to nab some oil and go.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg

That is not an oil problem its a coolant problem. But then no one has really been able to pin it down. Gasket improvements in the last 5 years seem to have solved the problem but again for how long??

Subaru engines are the easiest on oil on the planet. I have done several 10K mile runs.

Any oil works fine.

Just go with almost any full synthetic & stay at the recommended oil weight & you'll be fine. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Valvoline SynPower, they're all great oils. You have a longer commute as well, you could likely run a good bit longer OCIs. Perhaps 7,000-8,000 miles, but it's up to you.

Hey Everyone.

Have been searching and reading, and thought I would post to seek the advice of folks here.

Currently have a 2011 Subaru Impreza, just under 50k on the clock. Purchased used less than a year ago, and coming up on my third oil change. Details:

Live in Upstate NY, Change every 5k, 22 miles one way daily for commute, dont drive it very hard.

In the past I have used NAPA synthetic 5w-30 in my vehicles, mostly because I bought multiple cases when I could get it for sub-$3/qt. Never had a problem with it in my previous vehicles. Im not opposed to using it still, but my stash is depleted, and I really dont like the idea of paying full price for a few quarts to match the two I have left in the garage.

Im intending to keep with 5w-30, and am considering Castrol GTX, PYB, and Formula Shell. I used only synthetic in my previous vehicles (Mazda Proteges), and saw a difference in starting and fuel economy. From what I have read the Subaru engine is pretty easy on oil, and will like most anything. Current fill on the car is NAPA synthetic, previous fill was PYB (to get rid of the who-knows-what was in from the dealer).

I have a case of the OEM filters that Im intending to use, so the oil change deals that AAP or the like put out arent all that appealing to me.

So, after this entire novel, just wondering thoughts on those choices of oil, and if there is any truth to the rumor of it being a bad idea to switch back and forth between syn and conventional.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Clarkbug – Congrats on the ‘11 Subaru Impreza. Since you’ve had success with synthetics before, have you considered trying out Pennzoil Platinum in your Impreza? We agree with sticking with the 5w-30 visc grade and would like to offer you the opportunity to test our synthetic motor oil and get back some used oil analysis results from an independent testing facility (as we’re sure you’ve heard, Pennzoil Synthetics are now formulated with natural gas whereas other synthetics are formulated from crude oil). All you have to do is send us a private message with your contact information and we can get you started in the program. – The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Just go with almost any full synthetic & stay at the recommended oil weight & you'll be fine. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Valvoline SynPower, they're all great oils. You have a longer commute as well, you could likely run a good bit longer OCIs. Perhaps 7,000-8,000 miles, but it's up to you.

Thanks Branson. I am trying to split the difference between Subaru's severe service and regular service intervals, and the 5k change works for me right now as far as also serving as a good interval for me to check my CV boots, the heads for weeping (on this engine), and other stuff on the underside.

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck

Hey Clarkbug – Congrats on the ‘11 Subaru Impreza. Since you’ve had success with synthetics before, have you considered trying out Pennzoil Platinum in your Impreza? We agree with sticking with the 5w-30 visc grade and would like to offer you the opportunity to test our synthetic motor oil and get back some used oil analysis results from an independent testing facility (as we’re sure you’ve heard, Pennzoil Synthetics are now formulated with natural gas whereas other synthetics are formulated from crude oil). All you have to do is send us a private message with your contact information and we can get you started in the program. – The Pennzoil Team

Gena, I sent you a PM. Would be very interested to learn more about your program and participation in some testing.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

It will apply to Wal-Marts, Advance, and AutoZone...

This. If youi want full synthetic, the Mobil 1 rebate is the best deal right now. Any quality oil will do for 5k miles on a non-turbo Subaru, so no need to get any of the extended performance oils.

If you weren't going to go with the M1 rebate, I'd go with either the Pennzoil Gold or SuperTech synthetic. Both of those are quality oils at good prices. Also, the Pennzoil Gold says it's at least 50% synthetic on it's label, which is more than most other blends.

Though if the price didn't matter, I'd suggest Valvoline SynPower for Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic because these oils (especially the MaxLife Full Syn) were the two smoothest oils in my Subaru which has the same engine as yours.

Originally Posted By: sicko

This. If youi want full synthetic, the Mobil 1 rebate is the best deal right now. Any quality oil will do for 5k miles on a non-turbo Subaru, so no need to get any of the extended performance oils.

If you weren't going to go with the M1 rebate, I'd go with either the Pennzoil Gold or SuperTech synthetic. Both of those are quality oils at good prices. Also, the Pennzoil Gold says it's at least 50% synthetic on it's label, which is more than most other blends.

Though if the price didn't matter, I'd suggest Valvoline SynPower for Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic because these oils (especially the MaxLife Full Syn) were the two smoothest oils in my Subaru which has the same engine as yours.

Thanks for the insight. I have been using Napa synthetic for most of my vehicles previously, and my understanding is that its the same as SynPower, with a weaker add pack, so it fits fine with 5k changes. No issues in my car (or my wife's 2010 Forester, but it did start to burn some last change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back