Oil Choice Based On Worst Case UOA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I have 5W30 M1 , PP , PUP , QSUD (also in 5W20) and Castrol EDGE in the oil stash . My thinking is to run my next fill using QSUD 5W20 for a severe schedule OCI (3,750 miles ) in the Hyundai 2.4L GDI Sonata then have a UOA performed . That will pretty much be the "worst case" UOA using the QSUD 5W20 , so my thinking is : What ever the UOA results that come back with the QSUD 5W20 after my sever schedule 3,750 mile run will surely be a little better in 5W30 with the other synthetic oils I have listed. Therefore , what I ever I get back with the QSUD 5W20 UOA will / should give me an indication of what I can run a 5W30 synthetic I have listed above for in terms of miles ... Your thoughts ?

Do you really have any misgivings about any of the products you listed?
99 44/100% of the population (probably more) successfully runs any of those oils without a second thought.

My question to you is why are you giving it a second thought???

The 2.4 is not a turbo, correct? A regular GDI is not a huge problem compared to a T-GDI.
Any of those oils will do 5,000 miles with ease, and would most likely be just fine @ 7,500 miles unless real severe conditions.
I plan on doing 5,000 mile intervals with my 3.3 Santa Fe and 2.0 Soul, both non-turbo GDI engines.
I decided on 5,000 miles because it is easy to remember when to change the oil.

I'd be real surprised if a UOA was was able to differentiate any differences between these oils at only 3750 mile intervals. Seems a lot of overthinking.

Dealer says my suburban big city driving is closer to severe duty (3,750 mile) with 2.4L non - turbo GDI engine . I will have Blackstone do a UOA with TBN measurement to see what the oil has left in hopes of extending a bit further out to 5K - 6K miles . If I know what the QSUD 5W20 will do then I'll also know what these other oils will do (I prefer 5W30 but admittedly with 5W20 in the engine it seems tike it warms up a little faster and is a little more peppy / responsive ). Long term I believe 5W30 synthetic is better in this engine guarding against fuel dilution viscosity breakdown and more film strength . The QSUD 5W30 is the thickest at 11.6 (100 degrees C.) while the Pennzoil is 9.6 , the M1 is 11.0 and Castrol 5W30 is around 10.6 .

Last edited:
Yes way too much thinking. All of these oils are capable of at least 5,000 miles in normal service. Does your driving routine actually qualify as "severe service"?
Simply stated, as long as you are using the correct oil for your vehicle... the best oil is the oil that's changed regularly. Period.

*Driving includes suburban surface streets with most speeds between 35MPH and 45 MPH with stop lights ; 16 miles one way to work (40 minutes) ditto for the ride home. Car sits mostly on the week ends ... At 3,750 miles the gauge says approx. 150 hours on the oil and a average speed of 25 MPH over the period driven ... With this added information - you tell me if this is severe duty or not ? Yes way too much thinking. All of these oils are capable of at least 5,000 miles in normal service. Does your driving routine actually qualify as "severe service"?
Simply stated, as long as you are using the correct oil for your vehicle... the best oil is the oil that's changed regularly. Period.[/quote]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back