Oil changed today at dealership. Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’m figuring he shot me a line of dodo. MC 5w30 is probably better than 5w20 here in NC . But it was just the Ford changed the spec on the 3.3 engine oil comment. And I can’t find a documented spec on this so called change. Thanks for the reply’s. Hell I wish it was changed. My wife edge 2.0 eco is MC 5w30 syn blend. One oil for ALL !!!!!!
7451899D-42C2-4AAD-A9B1-AB435900FA85.jpeg

Yeah I’m figuring he shot me a line of dodo. MC 5w30 is probably better than 5w20 here in NC . But it was just the Ford changed the spec on the 3.3 engine oil comment. And I can’t find a documented spec on this so called change. Thanks for the reply’s. Hell I wish it was changed. My wife edge 2.0 eco is MC 5w30 syn blend. One oil for ALL !!!!!!View attachment 57724
That is a nice-looking truck. People around here get all wound up over a multitude of factors that amount to oil OCD. Just change it regularly with any reputable brand of oil and you will be good.

Last I heard, Ford had a TSB for the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F-150 switching from 5w-20 back to 30. Maybe he went by that info.

That is a nice-looking truck. People around here get all wound up over a multitude of factors that amount to oil OCD. Just change it regularly with any reputable brand of oil and you will be good.
Changing it regularly and keeping to manufacturer recommendation is the best way to go if you want to protect your engine.

Real life experience here.
Generally, ODI for fully synthetic engine oils is 10,000km.

A colleague used a Fully Syn oil for his Toyota Corolla, basic 5W30 SN spec as recommended by manufacturer, not using any special, super expensive, PAO, GTL, esters-based, product blah blah.

Drove over 300,000kms on that vehicle at the end of 10 years, long drives, city start stop drive, gun the engines, you name it he's done it.
Changed the engine oil every 8,000km instead of 10,000km, absolutely no engine problems at all, when they cut the engine open at the end of 10 years bloody engine looked almost brand new, shiny and stuff on the inside.

I took my f150 3.3 and had its second oil change factory spec is 5w20. My invoice papers today said they put 5W30 Motorcraft synthetic blend in it. I questioned it and the service guy said don’t pay attention to my owners manual. Said Ford changed spec for that engine to 5w30. I’ve looked on the web and find nothing on it. I don't think 5w30 is going to hurt my engine. Actually probably better. But just wanted facts. It’s free oil changes through the dealership I got it from. 2019 xlt 3.3 Got 5899 miles on it. I drive mostly short runs. I live two miles from work. I use my OLM and it’s basically running low at 3000 miles. Love my truck . While the weakest of all the engines , it’s plenty of power for my old ass. Gets 24 mpg on interstate. It has the 6 speed also.
I wouldn’t worry about it. I would just keep your receipts from the dealership. If you ever have a warranty issue arise snd they blame it on the wrong oil weight say look boys this is what you put in it, on this date, and this mileage if it’s wrong you did it. Deer in headlight look

I am going opposite of the majority. I would buy 5w20 and either way you or the dealership change it out. Quote from your manual.
Note: For any questions regarding coolant, see your authorized dealer.
If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this may lead to:
Component damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.
Longer engine cranking periods.
Increased emission levels.
Reduced engine performance.
Reduced fuel economy.
Reduced brake performance.

It isn't about which oil anyone prefers or the fact that it's free or what may be better for the vehicle. The response from the Service Writer, not to pay attention to your Owner's Manual because Ford changed their spec (if not true) would really bother me. As if to brush me off and move me right along. Again, If what he said isn't true.
^^^^^^This. I run 5W30 in vehicles spec'd for 10W30 because I want to, but they are out of warranty and no one cares but me. It's not about the oil; it's about the (Stealership)? credibility. I would want this in writing, exactly as they stated it verbally. And being the **** raising excrement disturber that I am, I would be wearing a Go-Pro head cam while having this conversation with the "service writer." Ever watch Youtube videos of how police treat people when the COPS KNOW they are being recorded? Same goes for any dealer/stealership; if you don't want a video of this conversation on Youtube or sent to corporate, think before you speak, and it would be most advantageous to simply be honest up front.

Edit: tiger862, none of that stuff matters. The service writer told the OP not to pay attention to the owner's manual. https://www.google.com/search?q=asi...q=asinine&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i271.10066j0j7&{google:bookmarkBarPinned}sourceid=chrome&{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:eek:mniboxStartMarginParameter}ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
I am going opposite of the majority. I would buy 5w20 and either way you or the dealership change it out. Quote from your manual.
Note: For any questions regarding coolant, see your authorized dealer.
If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this may lead to:
Component damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.
Longer engine cranking periods.
Increased emission levels.
Reduced engine performance.
Reduced fuel economy.
Reduced brake performance.
“Reduced brake performance? “ lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back