Oil changed today at dealership. Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my f150 3.3 and had its second oil change factory spec is 5w20. My invoice papers today said they put 5W30 Motorcraft synthetic blend in it. I questioned it and the service guy said don’t pay attention to my owners manual. Said Ford changed spec for that engine to 5w30. I’ve looked on the web and find nothing on it. I don't think 5w30 is going to hurt my engine. Actually probably better. But just wanted facts. It’s free oil changes through the dealership I got it from. 2019 xlt 3.3 Got 5899 miles on it. I drive mostly short runs. I live two miles from work. I use my OLM and it’s basically running low at 3000 miles. Love my truck . While the weakest of all the engines , it’s plenty of power for my old ass. Gets 24 mpg on interstate. It has the 6 speed also.

Stealerships never cease to amaze me! They preach factory OEM, yet can't get an oil change correct? Although; in this particular case it's advantageous to the owner. My humble opinion of course. The Ford factory should be notified. But, you pick your battles too! Good luck OP with your ride!

Stealerships never cease to amaze me! They preach factory OEM, yet can't get an oil change correct? Although; in this particular case it's advantageous to the owner. My humble opinion of course. The Ford factory should be notified. But, you pick your battles too! Good luck OP with your ride!
Yea-That's what Corporate is for. Tell me....do you really think corporate would waste their time over an oil change? Do you really believe that?

It is “free oil” so you get the absolute cheapest bulk oil the shop can find. Or maybe you get the MC synblend on the invoice...
maybe!
I pass on the dealers free oil changes. Our local Ford dealer advertises “free lifetime maintenance“ but charges $999.00 on his supplemental stickers.

It isn't about which oil anyone prefers or the fact that it's free or what may be better for the vehicle. The response from the Service Writer, not to pay attention to your Owner's Manual because Ford changed their spec (if not true) would really bother me. As if to brush me off and move me right along. Again, If what he said isn't true.

Call the other ford dealerships and see what their service centers say about the weight oil they would put into your truck. Ask if the spec changed to include 5w30. I'm sure you will find it did not but the engine will be just fine with the 5w30. Likely they speced the 20 wt oil to squeeze under the average MPG requirement set by the government. They can get 5w30 bulk and put it in all vehicles except the ones that MUST have lighter or heavier oil. They have that cost model figured out.

Amsoil says 5W-20. Castrol says 0W-20 or 5W-20. Penzoil says 5W-20.

The usual response here is "take it back and make 'em put in the right oil" 🤷‍♂️

It is likely Ford spec'd 5W-20 for the combination of cheaper oil being synthetic mix, and lower drag to achieve a certain fuel economy rating, when in practice you'd be as well off using the 5W-30 in NC till the free oil changes are over, then switch to synthetic.

Toyota has specified 0W-20 in my vehicle since 2010, and the owners manual states, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions". I use 5W-30.

Since 2010, Toyota has specified 5W-30 and 10W-30 for the same vehicle in the EURO, AUS and AE markets and recommends a viscosity as high as 15W-40 for operation at high speeds or extreme load conditions in those areas. Recently, Toyota began recommending oil viscosities ranging from 0W-20 to 10W-30 for my vehicle in AUS.

Your vehicle will perform well with 5W-30 in NC.

My Hyundai dealer did the same thing. My Elantra specs 5W-20 but they use 5W-30 Valvoline Semi-synthetic. The Hyundai manual essentially says you can use 5W-30 and it is what I use in my entire fleet of vehicles, even when they call out 5W-20. I don't think there really is much of a difference for everyday use. The dealer probably uses 5W-30 to cut down on inventory, buying one bulk oil rather than having to manage several different flavors. The turbos typically "require" 5W-30 so sticking with one grade is probably a way of better managing their inventory.

The 5W-30 MC won't hurt anything but **** them for putting it in! It's the owner's decision, and I am pretty sure said dealership wouldn't have a problem denying you a warranty claim in the highly unlikely event you have engine issues based on the weight they put in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back