Oil Change or not

Debating on oil change this year. Since new once a year regardless of miles. I just checked at 10th month and I have put a whopping 2400 miles since last oil change. I could do 5k which would be close to 2 years just like I did last vehicle which took 18 months to go 5k. I am now out of warranty at 34890 so that's not a problem. All my trips are under 7 miles and around 35mph. I do put it on interstate once in a while. Vehicle temp gauge is up to temp pretty fast. Talk me out of changing it in August which would be 1 year and around 3k.

Your temp gauge shows coolant temperature. Oil temperature may not be high enough to boil off water.

Debating on oil change this year. Since new once a year regardless of miles. I just checked at 10th month and I have put a whopping 2400 miles since last oil change. I could do 5k which would be close to 2 years just like I did last vehicle which took 18 months to go 5k. I am now out of warranty at 34890 so that's not a problem. All my trips are under 7 miles and around 35mph. I do put it on interstate once in a while. Vehicle temp gauge is up to temp pretty fast. Talk me out of changing it in August which would be 1 year and around 3k.

I would go 18 month instead, from early spring to late next summer and so on.

Short trips are severe duty. My car only sees about 2000 miles per year with mostly short trips and I do yearly oil change as well.
I do the same, appx same yearly mileage, but mine usually involves mostly highway driving. Run Mobil1 FSHM and Fram Ultra filters. 1x/year is all I can mentally allow. Grew up with 3k mi/3mos being the standard, so it unnerves me to even go a year.

Yes, I'm aware of the advancements in oil tech, filter tech, engine tech, etc. Yes, I know a lot of folks think I'm wasting money. But it's $40ish once a year. I'll survive, financially. My peace of mind is priceless and important. 🙂

My Dad (this was my Mom's car) followed the 3k mi/3 mos schedule using the same Mobil1 FS and Mobil1 filters. He still can't let one go any further before he's changing the oil again. Lol

Because it’s short tripped I wouldn’t try to talk you out of changing it. If you took it on the hwy 1x. Week it might be good for 2 or 3 years with that little driving.

Change it! If not for your car's sake, then do if for all the poor BITOG members' OCD. Some folks here won't sleep right until you do. :)

Kidding aside, your driving pattern is the definition of severe service. The oil temps lag way behind coolant temps and the oil will rarely get up to temp during short trips.

I plan on doing it although the olm is at 75%. Be doing it in August for 6 years and my brain keeps saying change it. At least breaks and battery get checked.

Back