Oil change, now leaking 2015 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy user of Royal Purple filters - my Crown Vic takes the exact same 20-820 filter. Never had a problem tightening it like any other filter. You probably got a defective one or installed it incorrectly. If you can't find a 57899 easily just use a 51372 - they are easy to find.

Last edited:
I'm hoping its something as simple as a bad seal. I've installed a ton of filters in my time and never have had one leak until now.

That is if it is the filter. I won't know until I get it up on my ramps. I grabbed a bunch of cardboard from work to lay under the car because who knows how much oil has pooled on the plastic service panel that Dodge puts on their cars. I don't want a bath when I undo this 4 bolts holding it up

Replacement filter will probably be the MO-899 OEM filter. (if it is the filter)

The metal part of the filter is contacting your oil filter adapter before the gasket has a chance to properly seal. Junk the oil filter and buy a different brand. I’ve seen this a few times in my life time.

Best advice I’ve seen was to throw that Royal Purple filter in the trash and go find a WIX or MOPAR filter.

There is nothing wrong with a hand tight filter. This is how I always put one on and to issues. When it takes a Jack hammer to remove one then you have problems.

It sounds like it is likely to be the filter, but I do see a lot of leaking oil pressure sensors on hemis. You shouldn't make much more of a mess by just replacing the filter and the splash shield isn't going to hold much oil. The splash shield collecting oil could be why it took a while for the oil to start dripping.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I didn't notice a separate stud etc

It's not typically a separate stud, it's the stud that the oil filter threads onto. It will usually be threaded (the part you thread the oil filter onto), then a hex nut, and then threads (that you can't see). That other part is what secures it to the oil filter housing or whatever your vehicle uses.

Well I got it up on the ramps yesterday and sure enough oil was leaking from the filter.

42618434802_c552dff298_b.jpg

Despite having to use a wrench to tighten it earlier, the filter was barely hand tight and came off fairly easily (hence the leaking oil) It looks ok although the gasket is pretty hard compared to the gasket on the Mopar OEM MO-899 that I replaced it with.

42667102641_6087084634_c.jpg

42667098551_4b0f332a87_c.jpg

I'm wondering if it is old stock that was sitting on the shelf at Pep Boys for quite some time? Dunno....I do know that when I put the MO-899 on it felt like a normal filter going on...felt the gasket make contact, hand tightened and then turned about half a turn with the wrench cap. The RP filter was hand tighten until contact (and I mean the second it made contact) and then it didn't budge until I used the wrench cap.

Replaced a quart between the filter change and whatever I leaked out. I'll tell you what, The RP oil is hard to read on the Dodge dipstick. Give me my golden oil back lol. I will say not a whole heck of a lot came out of the filter when I removed it. It seems like there was a lot more when I did the regular change and drained the sump first.

So far so good....did not notice any new puddles under the Blue Beast this morning when I left for work. Oil Pressure is about 55-56psi on the road and 38-40psi while at a stop.

Well at least for me the RP experiment is over. Next fill will probably be Pennz Plat and stick with the MO-899 (100K powertrain warranty) or a Wix 57899.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back