Oil change Mat

Has anyone used an oil change mat? Any recommendations? I’m tired of spilling oil and cleaning it up with cat litter

Cardboard FTW! I changed the oil in the 2005 Jeep today. I used an old box we kept from Christmas. Spilled a little taking the drain plug out. Cleaned it off with a shop towel and will use it next time as well. It was nice and sunny, 43F so figured won't get much better in Iowa than that in February.

Just my $0.02

Like other members who have well spoken, I save & flatten cardboard boxes and reuse them under the car when I'm working. Throw them away when they get dirty/oily. Also, like totegoat mentioned, I've used pig mats for years. I DON'T LIKE any mess on my garage floor. The PIGS seem expensive at first, but I've been using the same pack of 100 for over 10 years...and I've got plenty left. I also have a huge 30 qt? plastic mortar mixing pan I bought at Lowes for tranny fluid changes. Paper towels, rubber gloves, etc. I can change oil and then sit down to dinner without washing my hands. Not that I do; I'm just saying, just because I service my own car doesn't mean I want to look like it. https://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-Heavyweight-Absorbency-MAT403/dp/B00BUBTKIQ

I use 26x18 aluminum sheet pans from the restaurant supply store. I put down a piece of cardboard, then the sheet pan and drain pan on top. They help contain all those random drips off when you're doing a trans filter change. They come in handy on the work bench as well.

Back