Oil Change Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the middle of changing the oil on my 2000 v-star. The current filter is a kn-145, but per the cross referencing research I did, a fram ch6004 will also work. The problem is the fram filter seems to be a tad larger then the kn. The kn fits in nicely and the oil cover fits neatly over top. When I put the fram filter in, it hangs out a fraction of a inch which makes putting the oil cover back on rather challenging. Put another away, the oil cover doesn't slide neatly into place over top of the fram as it does with the kn. Advice?

that is the same filter my Virago uses. Purolator's ML16805 and Wix's 24936 both fit in my bike as well as as the Wix did. The wix can be bought at any O Reilly's Auto Store or you can order Purolators pretty cheap on Amazon.

Last edited:
The FRAM still works, you just need to tighten the bolts up around it evenly. I've used over a half dozen of the CH6004 in my v star. I've never had one problem or leak. Menards usually sells the FRAMs for about $4.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
use something else. Frams aren't very good anyways.

Do you have any statistical proof to back that statement up?

I've yet to see anyone prove that Fram filters are any worse than anything else out there. I've used Fram, Purolator, K&N, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Wix and other brand name filters. Never had an issue with any of them including Fram.

From my experience, Fram filters provide as good protection as any other filter of the same specification.

I saw an older but very low mileage Kawasaki 750 have low pressure when using a fram. For the money, there are much much better filters. Use a Wix, K&N, or Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I saw an older but very low mileage Kawasaki 750 have low pressure when using a fram. For the money, there are much much better filters. Use a Wix, K&N, or Purolator.

How, exactly does one "see" low oil pressure?

What were the symptoms that led to the need to suspect a low oil pressure issue?

I believe that one participant stated that Ducatis come with Fram filters. If so, they'd be sticking their necks out installing an OEM filter that wasn't up to par. Right?

There is something called an oil light. It turned on with a fresh oil and fram filter. Switched it out to a Wix and the light went off. Nuff said. I have seen a standard orange can do something very similar on a high performance Mopar Wedge motor.

And just because there is a Fram in a factory Ducati does not mean it is the same filter ya buy off the shelf. Ducati can set the specs their OEM filter is made to.

Not all Fram filters are bad. I have used the Extended Guard with confidence, but I wont touch their other oil filters with a ten foot pole.

I've used off the shelf Fram filters in numerous engines for many years.

I've run them for three successive oil changes in my KLR. After the third oil change, I pulled the filter and pulled it apart. There were so signs of deterioration or failure of any sort. I've never a problem with any of them and I've used quite a few. Not saying they're infallible but they don't deserve a bad rap either.

I wont touch any Fram oil filter that is not an extended guard. Most of the time in stock applications they wont come apart. In 30 years I have seen two and that is enough for me. And I am not on the bandwagon just because it is popular. I have people give me a hard time over me running Bosch plugs in some of my vehicles all the time, but I have never had an issue with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back