Oil Change Interval Chart

Easy, just do 5K OIC's. ;)
No, it's 10K. tig1 said so. I think he's doing fine with it since the 70s, if you read between the lines. Still not sure.

Let's see what AutoMechanic has to say about this...

Last edited:
The towing line is out of place. Most trucks OLM account for towing (through motor rpms). I know my Silverado does.

That highly depends on the load and truck. A 3,000 lb bass boat makes minimal difference in rpm and mpg on some trucks. On the other hand I've lost 60% on mpg when hooking to a 80' frontal area 10,000 lb trailer.

But again that's not the question. I'm trying to locate the source of the chart if anyone knows.

That highly depends on the load and truck. A 3,000 lb bass boat makes minimal difference in rpm and mpg on some trucks. On the other hand I've lost 60% on mpg when hooking to a 80' frontal area 10,000 lb trailer.

But again that's not the question. I'm trying to locate the source of the chart if anyone knows.
Hence-will make minimal difference for your OCI. I wouldn't look too hard for a non-sensical chart.

Might not apply. We don't know where the chart came from. I've seen it pop up a couple of times and want to know where it's from. I was hoping someone would know the source.

Just like your blanket statement doesn't apply. Some TGDI engines have 400,000 mi with 10,000 mi OCI on conventional. Others self destruct within 100,000 mi on 3,000 mi OCI with synthetic.
Sounds like a comparison of Toyota and Honda vs Kia and Hyundai.

3,000 to 4,000 mi - Frequent trips under 2 mi
4,000 to 6,000 mi - Urban driving
4,000 to 7,000 mi - Typical mixed driving
5,000 to 7,000 mi - Towing
7,000 to 12,000 mi - Highway driving

Where did you find the text above, the "3000-4000 mi - Frequent trips..." ?

Where did you find the text above, the "3000-4000 mi - Frequent trips..." ?

I've seen the same chart several times through the years. I wrote it down at some point. It was likely in a consumer article on oil change intervals but had no source listed.

I thought some of the older guys might know the source (If the author didn't just make it up).

I know to many variables exist for it to actually be useful but thought it might be interesting to find out where it originated.

I know to many variables exist for it to actually be useful but thought it might be interesting to find out where it originated.
I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, to be honest. The numbers and conditions just seem absolutely arbitrary (or someone's "opinion").

Back