Oil Change Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
SVX supposedly "requires" premium (I've used mid-grade sucessfully for the last 4 years) & weighs 3,580 lbs. Like the A4, it actually has a backseat you can use.

Audi certainly has maintained quite a high level of performance across their entire line. Can't imagine buying one without the Quattro option (one of the Best Buys! ever) unless living in Florida or somewhere where it never snows.

The question of frequent dino changes vs. extended intervals with more $pecialized oils (and anaylsis) will probably only be answered on an incidental basis. You could probably take two identical vehicles and submit each to a different regimen for 100K and then tear down the engines and see what really happened. One would think the automakers have done this already...

But, WHAT IS THEIR PRIMARY MOTIVATION?
confused.gif

IMHO to build and sell new cars at a profit and not lose their shorts on warranty expenses. Ergo, don't expect them to spec the maintenance system that will keep the average buyer in their car for twice as long: they can't afford it.

Planned obsolescence is a fact of life, not a conspiracy theory. What concerns me is that new technology doesn't come with extended warranties on components that are not proven in actual use in the real world: New CVT's in Audi, Nissan & Honda products should have 250K factory warranty so the original owner and the used car buyer won't have to worry about what it might cost to have their 5 year-old 65K Murano's tranny repaired in Elephant's Breath, MT!
offtopic.gif

I agree, carmakers could easily make their engines last much longer, for very little expense, but they don't. A perfect example, they could devise a system where when you start the engine, the oil is first allowed to circulate before the engine actually fires. A built in preluber device. This simple thing alone could extend the life of any engine by a considerable amount. But you'll never see it as a factory installed item ever.

An engine that last forever
shocked.gif

No way
smile.gif

Automakers need to sell cars for money. Making one last forever would put them out of business.
Having components fail causes headaches. Vehicle headaches cause me to buy a new car.
Seems like a perfect manufacturer circle.

Patman,

The 2002 TT was a CPO vehicle ...I saved over $10k on the price of a new one and got a 6 yr/100k warranty as well.
wink.gif
Audi still has a bit of a depreciation problem in the first 2-3 years ....

TS

Wow, 15k on it already Ted? Didn't you guys just get that at Christmas time? I thought it was xmas gift for your wife. (or was it a birthday gift she got earlier than xmas time?)

Hmmm, considering that your typical modern-day car can go 200,000 miles easily with proper maintenance, I don't see where the problem is... that's 10-15 years of regular daily-driver use. I've owned cars from the 1940s to last year's model and today's cars are way more reliable and durable than anything that's ever been built.

Typical new-car warranty in the 1980s: 12 months/12,000 miles. Think about that next time you're out shopping and have to decide between Jeep's 7 yr/70k vs. Isuzu's 10 yr/100k.
smile.gif

Regarding the SVX fuel type (my brother used to have one, nice car, too bad they don't come with a manual trans), I don't know how advanced that engine is, but I know on some engines the computer will pull timing out when it detects detonation. Therefore you can drive on lower octane gas but you're giving up horsepower to do it. My LS1 works this way. Don't know for sure about the SVX's H6.

Cheers, 3MP

offtopic.gif

SVX 5-speed swaps are getting down in the $2+K range vs. $2,400+ (sometimes, +,+ & +!) for an auto tranny rebuild. For the introduction in 1992 it had a very sophisticated fuel-injection/engine management system.
cool.gif

However, the only difference between Premium & Midgrade I've seen in my almost 100K of driving is that it won't go much over 140mph without premium gas...
confused.gif
nono.gif

That... and a wide open stretch of highway, too!
lol.gif

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back