Oil capacity Corolla vs Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan,

I was referring to the metric value of 4.2 liters which = 4.4 US quarts.

If your 06 Corolla has the smaller 4 US quarts sump (3.7 liters), has Toyota only upsized the Matrix's oil capacity?

Is your car automatic as well as my GF's Matrix?

Man I was wrong...
pat.gif

Rereading the owners I now see the 06 models do indeed take 4.4qts
smile.gif
with a drain/refill with filter change.

I wonder why they increased the oil level?

So I guess it is no harm to overfill on one that says 3.7 qts. Do they have to be so annoying? Can't they just make it an even number of quarts?

Maybe the change was if someone let (never a BITOG member
grin.gif
) the oil level get down to the bottom of the "range" there was an concern of not enough oil for hard accell / Decell?
dunno.gif
(that would be only 3qts in there..)

I wonder if they did any mods to the crank or added a splash baffle/sheild to make sure that the extra oil was not going to be a problem?

Doubt we could get a straight answer from a Stealership or Toyota USA on that...
rolleyes.gif

If not, a new dipstick would be something I'd pay for (as long as it's not more that $20...)

I could see you going into the Stealership with a engine concern in Warrenty and the first thing they do is check your oil level and you've overfilled it to the 05 dipstick level... They would right there yell "OVERFILL" warrenty invalid due to the overfill (since they do state in the manual about overfilling)
pat.gif

Don't know about this....

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill in Utah-your making a good point about the "added a splash/sheild", after about 72/73 models of Pontiac motors I was not able to use the 7qts in their motors any more being they stopped putting windage trays in their motors unless they were the HI-PO motors. What would happen is being Pontiac's had their dipstikes on the passenger side of the motor, when you started to rev the high rr's oil would pump out of the dipstick tube and end up all over the exhaust pipe and smoke-yes I mean smoke-you'd end up have a line of smoke the length of the run down the dragstrip!! I would end up putting in a windage tray out of a older model anytime I torn one down. I wonder if they have a tray in them??

You probably have one of the first units with the "bigger" oil capacity. When was your car built? Mine in august 04.

I'm using the larger YZZA1 Toyota filter (same size as the Napa 1396) and need less than 4 liters to bring the oil level to the full mark (05 CE).

Some interesting stuff out there if you search.

Check this out and don't tell anyone where it came from
rolleyes.gif
it's for personal use so we're cool First the development of the 1zz-fe

development of the 2zz-ge from the 1zz-fe..a very nice PDF

From my quick skim here it does not appear that the 1zz-FE has what you are looking for . It is your engine though.. I will study it tonight for my own curiosity. In this case the windage try in the 2zz is terned a "baffle".. I am looking for updates on the 1zz.

[ November 29, 2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Bryanccfshr ]

Interesting thought. Mine was built June 05.
I picked it up the day after it came out of the Factory. My manual though specifies 3.7L but it always takes between 4.5-4.75 liters.

I've also noticed on cold days, it takes forever to finally warm up. Wonder if I should be using the smaller filter.

Okay, this is making me wonder. What effect will this have on my car in the days to come?
Maybe none. I remember my Ford Contour had been discovered that under high RPMS the pump would empty the oil pan. Roush engineers recommended that Ford up the quantity of oil by .5L-1L to help compensate.
It didn't seem to make much of a difference, but served a purpose. It was to help prevent spinning a crank bearing.

[ November 29, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

I posted about this in another thread but I will post again here. I have the XRS (03) which takes 4.8 qts w/ filter to full mark.

On a similiar note. I also have an 04 Tacoma with the 2.4L engine. The book says drain and fill with filter is 5.8 qts. The actual fill to full on the stick is 4.8 w/ filter. I asked Toyota and they told me to go off the dipstick essentially. I will edit with the e-mailed response. I was told by the dealer that they only put 4.5 qts in those engines. I was also told that they used to put like 7 qts in the Tundra's until they realized that that was too much oil so they replaced the stick and now only require 6 qts (approx). Read Below (Note, I only edit the e-mail to change my name):

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Oil Capacity Misprint

Discussion Thread
Response (Eli) 03/10/2006 10:32 AM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

The information in your owners manual regarding the oil capacity of your 2004 Tacoma is correct. Please be advised, however, that the proper oil change procedure (especially in regards to gradually refilling the oil, and checking with the dipstick) must be used to ensure that the engine is not overfilled with oil.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200603100503. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

Response (Toyota Customer Experience) 02/28/2006 05:40 AM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We sincerely apologize for our delayed response to your email. Unfortunately at this time we are experiencing extremely high volume and it may
require several days to respond to our email.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. If you need immediate assistance regarding your Toyota vehicle, or have questions or concerns
related to your Toyota dealership experience, we would like to encourage you to contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local dealership for assistance.

If your concern has been resolved, and you would like to close your email, please visit Ask Toyota and complete the following steps:

Go to - My Area

Login
Click on Questions
Select and open your question
Click on Update Question
At the bottom of the question - place a check mark in "I no longer need an answer to this question"

In the event you still require assistance, a Toyota Customer Experience representative will respond to your email as quickly as possible. Thank you for your time and consideration.

National Customer Relations
Customer (wantin150) 02/23/2006 04:49 PM
I own a 2004 Tacoma Ext cab 2.4L. The owners manual states that the engine oil capacity of this engine is 5.8 US qts w/ filter. This appears to be a misprint as the full mark on the dipstick is achieved at 4.75 qts. I changed my oil once and used this number. If I hadn't have checked it within a few miles, who knows what could have happened. I have seen this 5.8 figure in several publications and feel that it is misleading and could lead to engine issues that Toyota wouldn't cover due to excessive oil in the engine. I have spoken with my local service writer and was told that their techs put no more than 4.5 qts in the engine. If you are aware of the problem, what are you doing to correct it? If you aren't aware, I would hope that you could notify those owners and hopefully save them a hassle down the road. Thank you for continuing to build quality vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
I'm using the larger YZZA1 Toyota filter (same size as the Napa 1396)

Not quite...at least from the outside dimensions.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003008

I just put one YZZA1 and a 1396 side by side on the table and the A1 is 1/8" taller. The angle of your picture made it look even taller but it could be the new F1 actually being taller than the A1.
dunno.gif

The A-series had a different media design, which looked more restrictive IMO, but I never used them so I can't really say so. The F-series is traditional pleat design, minus the metal/cardboard endcaps.

As for start-up noise, I haven't noticed it with OEM filters; however, it's been a mild winter this year and I'm down here in Pennsylslovakia, not up in the frozen tundra of Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back