Fuel 4.5 .5 .5 N N

Soot
H2O
Glycol NA NA NA N N

Vis. 8.4 8.6 9.5 9.9 10.0

TBN 2.50 3.23 4.51 5.0 4.5

OXI NA NA NA 42 42

NIT NA NA NA 90 77

The last two samples used a different lab: "NA" = not applicable and "N" = none. FP60 was used on the last interval along with LC20 at the prescribed treatment rate for the initial fill (2 ounces per quart) and one addition at 3,000 miles (1 ounce per quart). Sump size for this engine is 3.9 quarts. I am continuing to use both FP60 and LC20 for this interval and will add LC20 every 1,000 miles.

Thanks to Terry Dyson for his expert opinion on the trend shown for this engine.

Why so much fuel dilution in the factory fill?
Did you change your driving habits since then?
Could explain the oil shearing to a 20 weight.

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
Why so much fuel dilution in the factory fill?
Did you change your driving habits since then?
Could explain the oil shearing to a 20 weight.

I never did determine what caused the high fuel dilution on the factory fill interval. When the next interval came back at .5, I didn't even give it a second thought. Driving habits have changed since the first oil change, as the car is used mainly for short trips.

offtopic.gif
How do you like your Corolla?

An excellent candidate for the more robust, Mobil 1, Extended Performance oil.

I'd recommend switching to the 5w-30/EP and stepping out to a 7500-10,000 mile service interval. You'll have plenty of TBN reserve (with or without the LC20) and the wear will be fine as well. Oil analysis provides legal backing for the longer service interval of this engine under warranty, in the highly remote event oil related problems should arise.

Note the very high level of silicon(e) leaching, which is particularly characteristic of Toyotas and Fords. Don't confuse this with wear if Fe/Cr/Ni (Stainless Steel sig.) levels are low....

Tooslick

Fuel Dilution. Don't give it a second thought, it was a new vehicle at the time of the first sample and the rings had not seated yet, but as can be seen with your next samples everything is doing just fine!!! As TooSlick recommended, step it up, this oil is doing great for you!!

Hi,

I've got the same engine in a 2005 Corolla and I got a UOA on my Factory fill and a few other UOAs to 15k miles.

Here are those: 2005 Toyota UOAs from New to 15k

quote:

I'd love to see the Chevron taken to 4,500 miles.

--- Bror Jace

I'll be doing a UOA with that in Mind! Stay Tuned!
grin.gif

quote:

I'd recommend switching to the 5w-30/EP and stepping out to a 7500-10,000 mile service interval.

Toyota states 5k or 6months max for OCI.. It's their motor until 60k miles...
wink.gif

quote:

Fuel Dilution. Don't give it a second thought, it was a new vehicle at the time of the first sample and the rings had not seated yet, but as can be seen with your next samples everything is doing just fine!!! As TooSlick recommended, step it up, this oil is doing great for you!!

I did my first UOA @ 1k miles and had neg fuel in the oil. Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

Enjoy the rig. I just turned 20k in 8-9 months and never back to the shop. MPG have been outstanding. The car is just like it was when it left the Dealership. Nice and Tight.
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Manual or Auto and What has been your avg

MPG?

PPS: I just changed my Oil which I was running Mobil 1 5w-30 for almost the same miles and sent the UOA off today. So it will be interesting to see how it does compaired to yours. Also, Did you use any oil durning the run?? I sure did..

Too bad you guys don't have easy access to XD-3.

My Corolla is doing fine. It's just that I don't get to drive it a lot. Only 5500 km since last september. Gas just went above the buck a liter threshold today...

One issue is that I have the occasionnal "No start problem" common to many 05 Corollas. Car refuses to start after sitting for about an hour or 2. And starts on the second try...

I've also put better tires on it. Yokohama Avid TRZ 195/65-15. And I bought a Corolla LE center console lid for cheap on e-Bay.

Do you guys park in a cooler garage?
Mine is at around 18-20C, and my outside temperature sensor takes forever to go up to the ambiant temp when I drive out, say 30C. Conversely, last winter, if the garage temp. was +10C and the outside temp -25C, the sensor would show the correct reading in less than a minute of driving.

How do you like your 'Trix?

My GF is looking for one or a Vibe to replace her *** 01 Protegé this fall. She's on her 3rd rebuilt auto. transmission and the car doesn't have 60000 km yet...

I just returned from a few days on the beaches of southern Maine and drove through NH again this year. Great roads, people... and seafood!

Bill,

Five speed manual. Fuel economy average over 20,750.5 miles is 29.6 MPG. Short trips hammer the fuel economy plus my wife has a lead foot! Best tank to date has been 35.5 MPG on the interstate to Boston.

You really rack up the miles fast! It took one year to hit 20K on the Matrix. No oil consumption ever on the Matrix. What type of consumption did you have?

Minou,

My wife loves her Matrix and I enjoy driving it when I get a chance. No issues with the car other than the occasional "no start" that you referred to. My symptoms are that engine refuses to fire up after sitting anywhere from ten minutes to an hour in temperatures from 30F to 90F. This has occurred after a short two mile trip as well as after trips in excess of one hundred miles. I spoke to a service rep at the selling dealership and they were unaware of any problems of this nature. The rep did ask if the check engine light came on and it has not.

Is the 90915-YZZA1 filter the larger one used on the high performance Celica, Corolla, and Matrix engine?

Try Johnson's on US-4 outside Northwood for seafood, incredible onion rings and homemade rolls and bread. Any Newick's (Portsmouth area) is great for seafood as well.

quote:

Originally posted by 2533a:
My wife loves her Matrix and I enjoy driving it when I get a chance. No issues with the car other than the occasional "no start" that you referred to. My symptoms are that engine refuses to fire up after sitting anywhere from ten minutes to an hour in temperatures from 30F to 90F. This has occurred after a short two mile trip as well as after trips in excess of one hundred miles. I spoke to a service rep at the selling dealership and they were unaware of any problems of this nature. The rep did ask if the check engine light came on and it has not.

Is the 90915-YZZA1 filter the larger one used on the high performance Celica, Corolla, and Matrix engine?

Try Johnson's on US-4 outside Northwood for seafood, incredible onion rings and homemade rolls and bread. Any Newick's (Portsmouth area) is great for seafood as well.

Looks like we have the exact same issue with starting. No CEL either. More dealers should now be aware of this issue as TSB's are coming out. Some have talked about the key amplifier unit, while other mention that new ECU programming could correct the issue. That's if your car's serial number was in the group of cars built before a certain number. I'll wait when we get news of owners that really had the issue solved and what really was the solution.

You're right, the YZZA1 filter is 1/2" longer than the A2 and is for the models you mentionned and the 2.4l Camry's engine.

It Xrefs the WIX/Napa Gold 1396 and the Purolator 14477. Here, the longer Napa Gold cost me less than the shorter 1394 that would be the OEM size. Go figure.

Last year, I remember having dinner in a pub in old Portsmouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back