Oil Capacity 2008 CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that price, it would be silly to even consider Maxlife ATF and I have nothing against Maxlife.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Well, it's in my garage so I know it's level. IDK

How long does it sit after you shut the engine off before checking the level ? Sorry to ask this, but you pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, reinsert it, then pull it out and check ?

I have a 2010 CR-V and I always have leftover oil in a 5-qt jug after an oil and filter change.
Typically I pour in 4 1/4 quarts, and then check after I run the engine to fill the filter. I usually need to add a bit to bring it to full on the dipstick.

ATF drain and fill - I bought 4 quarts of the Honda ATF and only needed 3.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
My dealer $7.25 per qt DW-1. I always get great pricing from my Acura and Lexus dealers.

That's an excellent price ! Cheaper than Amazon, if I'm not mistaken, too.

[Linked Image]

How long does it sit after you shut the engine off before checking the level ? Sorry to ask this, but you pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, reinsert it, then pull it out and check ?

I just got home and it has risen on the stick. It's about 1/4 inch above top dot with 5.5 qts. 6 hours later. Lol

I'll wait til in the morning and take pic and recheck. I'm thinking 5 qts for her CR-V.

Yes. An hour or so this morning at first check.

Remember, anywhere in between the marks (whatever marks the different automakers use) is perfectly okay. No need to fill it so it reaches the top mark.

The oil is too clear on the dipstick for a decent picture but after sitting overnight it is to the bend in the stick. Less than a quarter of an inch. About 3/16 of an inch.

SO>>>>next time I am going with 5 qts. It sure took a loooooong time to drain down. I guess I should have not used 20w50 and changed it outside in 30 degree weather.

Just kidding.

SO>>>>next time I am going with 5 qts. It sure took a loooooong time to drain down.
Let it drain for 10 minutes, 15 minutes at the most. By the time you pull the filter off, let that drain, and reinstall your new filter, it's plenty long enough. Draining for an hour, 4 hours, overnight, etc is just downright silly.

SO>>>>next time I am going with 5 qts. It sure took a loooooong time to drain down.
Let it drain for 10 minutes, 15 minutes at the most. By the time you pull the filter off, let that drain, and reinstall your new filter, it's plenty long enough. Draining for an hour, 4 hours, overnight, etc is just downright silly.

I'm not communicating properly. I wasn't talking about draining the oil. I was talking about how long it took the oil in the crankcase to drain down to get to it's highest position on the dipstick.

Remember, I added 4.5 qts and it was only on the bottom dot. I them added 1/2 qt and it still didn't come to the top dot an hour later. I finally added another 1/2 qt and an hour later it was on the top dot.

Letting the car sit overnight in my garage it finally rose to about 3/16 of an inch over the top dot.

Now as far as draining oil, I'll ramp it and drain as soon as I get home from driving it. I may let it drain for 15 minutes. I may let it drain overnight. Just depends what our plans are that evening. And many times I'm draining the ATF at the same time and it needs to be cold on my "no dip stick" cars. Therefore drain the hot oil and key the ATF cool down overnight.

I'm not communicating properly. I wasn't talking about draining the oil. I was talking about how long it took the oil in the crankcase to drain down to get to it's highest position on the dipstick.
Gotcha

Remember, I added 4.5 qts and it was only on the bottom dot.
In my opinion, you should have stopped there. Put in the amount Honda says (I suspect they do have a good idea of the right amount). Check it and if it's in between the markings (including at one), you're good to go. As a double-check, let it sit overnight or all day, a good 4, 8 hours and check it again. If anything, it will be - should be - slightly higher than the initial reading.

Now as far as draining oil, I'll ramp it and drain as soon as I get home from driving it. I may let it drain for 15 minutes. I may let it drain overnight. Just depends what our plans are that evening.
That I understand. If I get hungry, have to go to the bathroom, kid needs homework help, I'll let it drain. There are those who routinely, and believe it's necessary, to let it drain for hours and hours. Is there any harm in this ? Nope.

And many times I'm draining the ATF at the same time and it needs to be cold on my "no dip stick" cars. Therefore drain the hot oil and key the ATF cool down overnight.
Have you actually seen a meaningful change in the measurement ? I've tried this, saw nothing substantial enough to "waste" add'l time.

I'm not communicating properly.

Gebo said:
And many times I'm draining the ATF at the same time and it needs to be cold on my "no dip stick" cars. Therefore drain the hot oil and key the ATF cool down overnight.
Have you actually seen a meaningful change in the measurement ? I've tried this, saw nothing substantial enough to "waste" add'l time.

In several of my cars that don't have the ATF dip stick, I had them filled to the correct amount by using the Scan Gauge, temp, etc. Since I know these AT's have been filled correctly, I don't wanna have to do the Scan Guage deal over and over. So, I let them drain cold (ambient temp) and then precisely measure what comes out and refill with the exact same amount.
Temp makes a difference when measuring my ATF's (T-IV and WS)

So I am draining hot oil, wait overnight, drain the cold ATF, measure amount of ATF and replace with what was removed. If I remove the ATF hot and replace with the exact same amount, I will be overfilling my AT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back