Oil and vinegar recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I was really into making my own oil and vinegar and want to get back into it. You guys that make your own dressing please give me some ideas other than a packet you buy and add. I have some good extra virgin olive oil but couldn't find any vinegar locally so I ordered some of this as I do remember this being the most important part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYVG6MJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also remember making it with just salt and pepper which I thought was good if your in a hurry.

Growing up we used white-vinegar with Olive oil and a couple pinches of salt. Tossed. Still to this day I have this or Caesar as my main go-to's and we have Salad every night.

grapeseed Oil + vinegar + Dijon mustard + a little water + salt + pepper and you have a good salad dressing

Forget the white vinegar as it's acidic and contributes to acidity of your body.

Grape seed oil is a decent choice. I use Apple Cider Vinegar (organic with the "mother"). I use ACV with EVOO (California Olive Ranch). In looking at the reviews of Olive Oils the California was the only one that the reviewers could actually state was EV, really cold pressed, and had no other olive oils mixed in with it to. Apparently in the Olive Oil world you can mix various base stocks and still call your oil EV. It's strange.

If you want a little more body in your oil and vinegar, add in a bit of avocado or humus as a thickener.....which is what I do to make a more healthy mayo or dip for veggies.

Last edited:
StevieC - I remember making it most of the time with just salt & pepper but I also felt the better vinegar was the wine variety, mainly the red and also raspberry wine.

Alfred_B - would of never thought to add Dijon, I will try this thanks.

69GTX - I was looking at the acidity and most don't even list it but from the ones that did it was in the 5 or 6 percent range. I have also seen a bunch of recipes/reviews online that say the California Olive Ranch is good stuff and my wally carries it so it's on my list. Apparently there are no laws when it comes to making olive oil, even the ones that say made from "Italian olives" only have to have a small percentage of Italian olives to call it Italian, kind of like Kona coffee as long as it has 10% Kona beans in it they can call it Kona.

I have to admit I'm really excited about this just to get me eating more salads like I use to. I really don't like many types of salad dressings besides the Italian type and occasionally the Wishbone chunky blue cheese.

I use Apple Cider vinegar now with the Olive Oil since I got on the Keto bandwagon. But yeah we used white vinegar in the past and it's just a splash compared to the olive oil. Hardly enough to have drastic health effects such as acidity on the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back