Great Coleslaw Recipe!

Posting this in reference of the KFC 3 bean salad. Best recipe I have ever used. If you can grind up your own fresh cabbage mix...even better!

16 OZ coleslaw mix
2 TB finely diced onions
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
2 TB rice vinegar
1/4 cup milk

Mix it all up and add coleslaw mix at the end. Put it into the fridge and make sure to stir it now and then. Use a slotted spoon when serving to drain off the extra juices. Just as good as the KFC version in my book!

I love coleslaw and usually go 60/40 with white/purple cabbage but Jimmy's is the best I've ever tasted. If I don't have any Jimmy's, Italian dressing will do.

featured-original-cole-slaw.png

Similar to what I do but I skip the sugar and put some fresh ground black pepper in.

I do it with fresh cabbage then add small amounts of whatever else I might have lying around, like grated carrot, broccoli stem, or minced celery.

I got this recipe from Chef Terry Bryant at a cooking/food seminar in Berkeley back about ten years ago.

Carrot-Cayenne Coleslaw
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

• 1/2 small green cabbage head, cored and sliced thinly
• 2 large carrots, grated
• 1/4 small purple cabbage head, cored and sliced thinly
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 Tbs honey
• 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
• 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Place the green cabbage and carrots in one bowl and the purple cabbage in a separate bowl.

In a blender, combine the mustard, vinegar, honey, salt, and cayenne. While blending, slowly add the olive oil.

Add half of the dressing to the green cabbage/carrots and add the remaining dressing to the purple cabbage. Massage them both well until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes each. Cover, and refrigerate them for at least 15 minutes before serving, combine them, add the sesame seeds, and mix well.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Posting this in reference of the KFC 3 bean salad. Best recipe I have ever used. If you can grind up your own fresh cabbage mix...even better!

16 OZ coleslaw mix
2 TB finely diced onions
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
2 TB rice vinegar
1/4 cup milk

Mix it all up and add coleslaw mix at the end. Put it into the fridge and make sure to stir it now and then. Use a slotted spoon when serving to drain off the extra juices. Just as good as the KFC version in my book!
Sounds good. I've made coleslaw similar to this but cut back on the mayo and added in fat free Fage Greek yogurt. Still creamy but way less fat.

Back