Oil and filter recommendation for a Mazdaspeed 6!!!

You have a part number.. Its a cartridge filter, how it's oversize..?
I don't know if it works on the turbo engine, but on the N/A 2.3 and 2.5 you can swap the oil filter adapter from an engine that uses a spin on and use the fram ph3600 or equivalent size filters as an oversize, possibly the 8A size but probably not.

I don't know if it works on the turbo engine, but on the N/A 2.3 and 2.5 you can swap the oil filter adapter from an engine that uses a spin on and use the fram ph3600 or equivalent size filters as an oversize, possibly the 8A size but probably not.
Too much work to find the suitable adapter.. Benefits of an oversize filters are debatable, 'bigger doesn't always means better' *wink*wink*. A branded quality filter will do its job just fine.

mzr 2.3 disi turbo takes a cartridge filter.. The er mzr 2.3 turbo in cx 7 takes a spin on don't k know why
For a while in the mid to late 2000s Mazda (and Ford by extension) apparently thought that cartridge filters were the future or something and switched their engines over to them to reneg on it later on somewhere around 2008 or 2009 if I recall right, even the N/A cars from around the time of your Mazdaspeed6 take the same cartridge

The Supertech product has no European approvals.

Never said it has formal approvals, just that it meets the specs. Label carries a very similar laundry list of "meets the requirements" as PP Euro.

And since Warren does have some European approvals for their Mag1 brand (VW in particular comes to mind), not a stretch for them to be selling the same oil under a private brand here.

In any case, I think we all agree PP Euro is preferable given the choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-223552.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-223552.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
For a while in the mid to late 2000s Mazda (and Ford by extension) apparently thought that cartridge filters were the future or something and switched their engines over to them to reneg on it later on somewhere around 2008 or 2009 if I recall right, even the N/A cars from around the time of your Mazdaspeed6 take the same cartridge

Yeah, I've got a 2009 Fusion that has a cartridge filter from that era. I think Ford switched back to spin on in 2010, maybe even mid model year in 09.

But when I had to replace the filter housing, got it from the local Mazda dealer because it was way cheaper.

Never said it has formal approvals, just that it meets the specs. Label carries a very similar laundry list of "meets the requirements" as PP Euro.

And since Warren does have some European approvals for their Mag1 brand (VW in particular comes to mind), not a stretch for them to be selling the same oil under a private brand here.

In any case, I think we all agree PP Euro is preferable given the choice.
Yeah I agree. The difference is that the Pennzoil products have actual approvals despite their "reverse obfuscation" in listing them. You can check that against the manufacturer approval lists. Castrol does the same thing on their listings as well. The only major that seems to consistently get it correct is ExxonMobil.

I just get annoyed when companies that really do not have approvals list "meets requirements", since if they do meet the requirements (and they know this) then take the extra step and actually get the approval.

Back