Oil amount put in isn't what came out when drained. Something to be concerned about?

Hi all, I didn't quite know how to word this. So I hope I did as best I could. Vehicle is a 2013 Tacoma prerunner V6. With 44k on it. Oil capacity is 5.5 quarts. I changed the oil the other day, and I poured the used oil in a 5 quart oil container that I had just changed it with. Only 4 1/2 quarts came out. When I noticed it, that's when I started thinking about it. Basically my question is, is this something I should be concerned about? Or is something I shouldn't worry about.

There are no leaks. No smoke. The dipstick can be somewhat hard to read. But I try to check it in the morning after it's been sitting, and it's usually slightly below the fill line.

I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question. Thanks.

noack alone is what, 10% or even more ?....

Some oil remains in the engine.
yeah, but... that same "dead" amount will stay during each drain.
that´s why in service plans is "dry fill" and service fill. obviously dry fill needs more, to actually have same level in pan.

Hi all, I didn't quite know how to word this. So I hope I did as best I could. Vehicle is a 2013 Tacoma prerunner V6. With 44k on it. Oil capacity is 5.5 quarts. I changed the oil the other day, and I poured the used oil in a 5 quart oil container that I had just changed it with. Only 4 1/2 quarts came out. When I noticed it, that's when I started thinking about it. Basically my question is, is this something I should be concerned about? Or is something I shouldn't worry about.

There are no leaks. No smoke. The dipstick can be somewhat hard to read. But I try to check it in the morning after it's been sitting, and it's usually slightly below the fill line.

1 - what was the dipstick level before you changed it?
2 - the filter holds some volume of oil and not all comes out of the filter.

If you got within a quart of what the oil change capacity was, you were probably fine. Some was likely used and some was likely still in the oil filter. Relax and sleep well.

You didn't mention it so I have to ask to clarify, did you change the oil filter at the same time?

My V6 in my Lucerne leaves about 1/4 quart behind so if it was below the full line on the dip stick that would make it a 1/2 quart.

You didn't mention it so I have to ask to clarify, did you change the oil filter at the same time?

My V6 in my Lucerne leaves about 1/4 quart behind so if it was below the full line on the dip stick that would only be 1/2 quart.
Yes I did.

1 - what was the dipstick level before you changed it?
2 - the filter holds some volume of oil and not all comes out of the filter.

If you got within a quart of what the oil change capacity was, you were probably fine. Some was likely used and some was likely still in the oil filter. Relax and sleep well.
The level on the dipstick was barley below the fill line, or the dot in my case. Fairly close to it I'd say.

So if I understand, you have a vehicle with a 5.5 quart capacity that was a quart low, and you got 4.5 quarts out of it.

You got it all!
I would hope so.😅 Thank you sir. I suppose I worry about the small things a little too much.

I would hope so.😅 Thank you sir. I suppose I worry about the small things a little too much.
You never get all the oil out as others have already suggested.

It was running fine with the old oil.

It is still running fine with the replaced oil.

Therefore, it is no problem.

The lubricant portion of oil doesn't wear out. It's the additives that wear out. A bit of an oversimplification, but basically hits the high points.

When you change the oil, you provide a new load of additives and replacement lubricant.

Using a quart in an oil change is nothing. Some cars use more some none. No big deal.

How long was the oci and what oil was it exactly. Just a quart ain't a big deal. Some gets left behind but probably not a whole quart. About a half at most. oil filter will still hold some even when you think its drained. If it concerns you you could bump up 1 grade and try the same oci again.

How long was the oci and what oil was it exactly. Just a quart ain't a big deal. Some gets left behind but probably not a whole quart. About a half at most. oil filter will still hold some even when you think its drained. If it concerns you you could bump up 1 grade and try the same oci again.
OCI was 5k. Used Valvoline 5W30 EP with a M1 Filter. I changed it with M1 0W40 and a Fram Ultra. I Only used 5 Quarts this time. Oil on dipstick was spot on.

OCI was 5k. Used Valvoline 5W30 EP with a M1 Filter. I changed it with M1 0W40 and a Fram Ultra. I Only used 5 Quarts this time. Oil on dipstick was spot on.
From the sound of that you should be perfectly good. Have you owned it since new. 44k on a 2013 sounds like its short driven. If so i'd stick to that lower oci. i go twice as long since i drive a ton.

I bought it with 31k about 6 months ago. With my new job, I drive about 80 miles to and from. My daily commute is mostly highway. On weekends its around town. I like going by the OCI reminder. But yeah, previous owner really took care of it as far as I can tell.

Wait a minute.

It holds 5.5.
Last OCI he drained it, "some stayed in the engine".
He added back 5.5 back then.
He then had 5.5 + what "stayed in the engine".
The same amount should "stay in the engine" each OCI, draining out that 5.5 that he added in excess of what "stayed in the engine".

Therefore, he should drain 5.5 minus what the engine burned or leaked.

Am I missing something?

Wait a minute.

It holds 5.5.
Last OCI he drained it, "some stayed in the engine".
He added back 5.5 back then.
He then had 5.5 + what "stayed in the engine".
The same amount should "stay in the engine" each OCI, draining out that 5.5 that he added in excess of what "stayed in the engine".

Therefore, he should drain 5.5 minus what the engine burned or leaked.

Am I missing something?
May be a miss on my part. But I believe your spot on. I agree with you. This time when I changed the oil. I only used 5 Quarts. And the dipstick showed full.

Back