ohv question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda a dumb question but I have a troy-bilt snow blower with a 179cc ohv engine. Anyways I was wondering if it is splash lubed or would it have some sort oil pump. Just curious thanks in advance

As far as I know, if it has no oil filter, it's not likely to have a pressurized system. The paddle on the crank seems to be effective enough to get oil where it's needed.

Yeah that was what I was thinking too, I was just tooling around the garage and was like I never thought of that lol.

dont know about the LCT 179cc engine that you have. I do know that Tecumseh vertical shaft engines (even the small lawnmower engines - which is the usually application for the V shaft engines) actually had an oil pump. (even without a filter) We were never convinced that it helped - as the briggs engines seemed to outlive the tecumsehs even without pressure lube.

I have also wondered how/if oil gets to the rockers in my honda gx160 clone, since it is splash lubed.

I guess i could find out by running it with the valve cover off but that could get messy an it was a new machine in september lol.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
I guess i could find out by running it with the valve cover off but that could get messy an it was a new machine in september lol.

lol that was my thought. I searched around on youtube hoping to find someone who already took one for the team. no luck.

I'm gonna be fiddling with my clone gx160 today (I think the main jet is partially clogged). If I feel like it I might take one for them team and find out. Of course with at least a pic or two maybe even a vid.

On engines like the Honda GX, I believe oil is thrown onto the head through the cavity the push rods run through. On the GC series (w/ over-head cam) oil is probably carried up to the head by the timing chain.

Joel

^^^ agree. I think the chain/belt carries it (mine is a belt on the mower). I see a plastic splash spoon on my horiz shaft honda in the genset.

Now.. the blower-- horiz shaft, wet sump, 4 stroke, the belt is external and visible to the eye.... there must be a little baby pump in there somewhere.

yes, all the old vertical tecumsehs I had, used a simple pump off the camshaft. However, I had a BIG 16 hp one-lung tec, full cast iron, roller bearings... man it was a sweet engine... OHV, pushrod-- from the 70's or 80's IIRC... which I completely rebuilt--- and I do not recall a pump of any sort... don't recall how oil got up to the valves. hmmm... had to get there somehow--- there was no pickup that I recall... unless it was drilled into the block and actuated somehow in the cam bearings... solid lifters.... man this is bugging me now... that was 20 years ago...

M

I have seen some small air cooled engines that had a small button in them that ( I can't remember if it was on the cam, or where) anyway it would have a small lobe etc that would come around hitting the button and pump oil to places such as OHV etc.. However boraticus is correct, most (even many so called pressurized lube) is nothing more than a splash lob system, the paddle, or stem on the end of the rod/cap will sling oil all over the engine, and within confines of engineering even lube somewhat extreme areas such as OHV which needs very little lube to begin with.

s4xw89.jpg

Good pic of the top side of a OHV design, but what tells a true tale is the bottom part, remove the head check the piston top, and valves etc...

For the Honda GC engines, it's a rubber belt that drives the cam and valves, and yes, it is the main carrier for lubricant to the head area. Though in that engine, there are no "rocker arms" perse, so the need for a lot of lubricant is probably somewhat diminished.

I have a Tecumseh OHV175 (17.5 single) vertical shaft on my lawn tractor and it has a block-off plate for an oil filter. I could buy the adapter and filter for it. It has full pressure lube. I didn't know the smaller walk-behind size Tecs had pressure lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back