Oh man... This isn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The demeanor of the mechanics and the language they used made me angry real quick. I used to work at a Toyota dealership and the mechanics there by comparison, are a thousand times more professional.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
The dealership president posted this on their Facebook page sometime today:

"Sawgrass Ford takes its customer service reputation very seriously. Although the customer's vehicle was fixed by driving at a high RPM, our dealership does not condone the language or the specific method used to solve the issue. I shook the customers hand and thanked him for bringing this to my attention. The technicians involved were dealt with, and the customer asked for some unrelated goodwill. We gave him four wheels and tires, free flushes and services, he took down the video, and we considered the matter closed. Neither the customer nor Ford was ever charged a dime. Commenters with technical knowledge have noted that the rev limiter on the car never went off, so the claim that we " blew up" his car was merely sensationalism, aimed at getting the video to go viral. This is a complex matter now because the surreptitious recording of individuals in the state of Florida is a crime. Sawgrass Ford has to be sensitive to the legal right of our employees as well. While we have always done everything we can to maintain happy customers, We cannot in good conscious continue letting this customer go on using the internet to gain free services from Sawgrass Ford. As always, there is more to the situation than this video shows. We hope viewers can see what is actually motivating this customer. Our intent is to put this behind us and move forward with the same customer satisfaction that has earned us multiple presidents' awards.

-David Menten | President"

Sounds like he was more concerned that his techs were videoed than anything else, and he hints strongly that the car owner was trying to extort the dealership by relating his experience via the internet.

I dunno. Would you take your car here for service?

Edit: in his Facebook comments, the car owner says: "I was told by Ford HQ that no other Ford dealership is willing to touch the vehicle because Sawgrass Ford is now liable for the damages." Wow if true.

The loss (or at least potential loss) of factory warranty is what would concern me.
I would also be concerned with the information provided in the edited comment.
The customers car is now "marked", as well as the owner.
Not sure I'd take that one sitting down.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The demeanor of the mechanics and the language they used made me angry real quick. I used to work at a Toyota dealership and the mechanics there by comparison, are a thousand times more professional.

The demeanor of the mechanics is totally unprofessional and unacceptable.
I know when I took my Mustang in for service, I watched the mechanic peel out of the building when pulling the car around.
He did not realize that I was standing there, and I guess that if looks could kill, he realized he was caught dead to rights.
At least, he had the class to apologize for it.

It's sad that some people can't talk without using the f-bomb in every sentence. It can be tough on the ears.

On the technical side, Ford tests their engines using what is called "300-hr FIE." I believe this involves running the engine at max rpm for about half the time.

The dealership president posted this on their Facebook page sometime today:

This is a complex matter now because the surreptitious recording of individuals in the state of Florida is a crime. Sawgrass Ford has to be sensitive to the legal right of our employees as well. While we have always done everything we can to maintain happy customers, We cannot in good conscious continue letting this customer go on using the internet to gain free services from Sawgrass Ford. As always, there is more to the situation than this video shows. We hope viewers can see what is actually motivating this customer. Our intent is to put this behind us and move forward with the same customer satisfaction that has earned us multiple presidents' awards.

-David Menten | President"

This portion of the post from the president bothers me. I am not from Florida, but I am pretty sure that having a drive cam is legal, and it picking up borderline stupidity in the owner's vehicle, is NOT illegal. However, if the owner was in the back seat using his cell phone to record it, that would be an entirely different story. This is a quick defense tactic that is nothing short of the dealership realizing they could lose a TON of business, or possibly something worse.

Many people have drive cams because of the insurance world -- and for that matter people who get hit by others who are ABOVE having an insurance policy -- and those who have them, benefit greatly. Having only heard the customer's side of the story, regardless of what the dealership claims or what their policies are, there was clearly a destructive intent on behalf of the mechanic/s (they said it themselves).

And what are these "free services" that this customer is gaining? If he took his car in under warranty due to a noise to have it checked out, there is nothing wrong with that. If they screwed something up in the process, they are responsible for it. I'm pretty sure I would be slamming heads if this was my car, and this is the main reason why I take my cars nowhere except to have tires mounted.

Many car mechanics are uneducated and lack the sill to have an office job. If it weren't for fixing cars, they would probably be working at Walmart or Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

This portion of the post from the president bothers me. I am not from Florida, but I am pretty sure that having a drive cam is legal, and it picking up borderline stupidity in the owner's vehicle, is NOT illegal.

It's worse than that. The dealership's claim that the recording was "surreptitious" falls flat on its face. The camera was in plain view. The idiots driving actually commented about it. This "protect our employees" nonsense is just a smoke screen. And as far as I'm concerned, the president of the dealership lost all credibility when he made that post.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Many car mechanics are uneducated and lack the sill to have an office job. If it weren't for fixing cars, they would probably be working at Walmart or Home Depot.

You just slammed mechanics AND retail workers! All three positions beat being on welfare...

I guess the big question is how much damage if any was done and how do you put a dollar figure on it.
I doubt any damage at all was done so the question is what does the owner really want?
These two boobs fired and an extended warranty maybe? Some cash and an apology?

Not to justify their antics on a public street or their conversation but getting rid of carbon related noise does involve some high RPM running.
I probably would have used a TEC first and taken it to about 5-6K briefly a few times in controlled conditions then changed the oil.

On the other side of that coin though is the fact they have the warranty to replace the engine if in fact it did blow up, i don't.
Its true these two lack any sort of professionalism but i try and get past that part of the video and see whats really been damaged.

Has the dealership owner responded to the poster before the video was put on youtube?
This looks like a attempt to ruin this business through this video and facebook is that really justified either?
I don't know, there is not enough information to say one way or the other.
We know even from this board there is seething hatred for dealerships and mechanics because they are all mostly incompetent and crooked. How much of mind set is driving the issue?

Some mechanics have pride in their work....
Others just slap on parts without any regard about quality of work.

Reminds me of retail employees with their I don't give a hoot attitude.

+1 There are a lot (too dam many IMHO) parts changers out there calling themselves mechanics.
We all see it, the guys who just change perfectly good parts like alternators, starter, A/C compressors for a cheap part or bearing and a few min work.
They throw cheap Chinese CV axles in for the sake of a joint or boot. These are not mechanics, just know little hacks.

The saddest part is these hacks don't even like the title "mechanic", its not good enough for them. They have to be "techs" like they are something special.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I guess the big question is how much damage if any was done and how do you put a dollar figure on it.
I doubt any damage at all was done so the question is what does the owner really want?
These two boobs fired and an extended warranty maybe? Some cash and an apology?

Not to justify their antics on a public street or their conversation but getting rid of carbon related noise does involve some high RPM running.
I probably would have used a TEC first and taken it to about 5-6K briefly a few times in controlled conditions then changed the oil.

On the other side of that coin though is the fact they have the warranty to replace the engine if in fact it did blow up, i don't.
Its true these two lack any sort of professionalism but i try and get past that part of the video and see whats really been damaged.

I agree. Too many people are too quick to complain when they see videos of mechs stretching a car's legs out a bit. This particular car was built to handle it. That is not to say that all mech are completely responsible, because they're not.

Has the dealership owner responded to the poster before the video was put on youtube?
This looks like a attempt to ruin this business through this video and facebook is that really justified either?
I don't know, there is not enough information to say one way or the other.
We know even from this board there is seething hatred for dealerships and mechanics because they are all mostly incompetent and crooked. How much of mind set is driving the issue?

Most likely a case of a customer that bought a car as an "investment". One of those particularly picky types who goes megaton at the drop of a stray hair or fingerprint on the paint, left from the porter who moved the car around. "How dare you touch MY car with your heathen hands?!" Seeing the dash cam footage likely made him go over the deep end. He and the dealer more than likely could have worked this out, without him playing the social media card- "trial by lynch mob"...

About 15 min ago, the dealership president changed their main message on their Facebook page:

"To the customer on the video, we sincerely apologize, we would like to extend you the offer of purchasing your car at retail price, allowing you to keep the aftermarket parts.

David Menten"

With this move, I think this is going to come to a relatively quick resolution.

Want to bet this guy doesn't go for it. I have a feeling this guy wont be satisfied till they give him a brand new car and put all his junk aftermarket parts on it.

Although the mechanics themselves were crude I see nothing wrong with the way they treated this car.
When I worked at a dealership it was quite common to take a car out and put it through its paces to clean out carbon etc.
And nowadays with rev limiters and electronic engine protections you are not going to damage a healthy engine with spirited driving.
I can't comment on the wheel damage stated by the op.but he strikes me as potentially a problem customer.

About 15 min ago, the dealership president changed their main message on their Facebook page:

"To the customer on the video, we sincerely apologize, we would like to extend you the offer of purchasing your car at retail price, allowing you to keep the aftermarket parts.

David Menten"

With this move, I think this is going to come to a relatively quick resolution.

Retail price meaning the used retail value or the price of a dealer new car?

He modded the car, THEN took it to the dealership?

Did he learn nothing from the ricers over the years?

Smart dealerships NEVER touch modded cars/trucks for that reason, unless they were installed at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: KenO
I mean, it's hard to say what was going on here. So, the car has $10k worth of mods? If so, I guess it comes down to if this was going to be a warranty repair. If it was gonna be a warranty repair, then the test drive makes sense. Some random, arbitrary noise that you couldn't hear in the camera. Beat the snot out of it, and if it blows up - cool, drop a new motor in it and be done with it. Or it burns away any possible carbon, and the noise goes away. If it's customer pay - ehh, then it gets a little picky, especially at a dealership with mods. This really varies by dealer, some are much more OK dealing with modified cars than others.

I also heard the tech say the owner of the car was really picky, and that might very well be the case. The noise was evidently gone at the end of the test drive, so the tech did SOMETHING right. Pain in the [censored] customers are, well, a pain in the [censored], and are going to complain about minuscule stuff regardless. Make it go away, and the customer goes home happy until they decide to [censored] about something else.

Really? You believe he may have done something right? Are ya nuts?

Did ya read what I posted?

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Not terribly scandalized. I'm pretty sure they didn't put 80 miles on it in first gear, no matter what the man says. I hear them shift gears, so....they shifted gears. I'm guessing its a 3.7L Mustang, so it revs easily to 7,000 rpm.

I honestly don't know what the protocol is, but the greater scandal are the mechanics who put the car on a scanner and then mindlessly replace parts.

Agreed. Seems like these guys simply wanted to make certain there really was a REAL issue before diving in and doing any actual work. As I stated before, if there was a real issue - I'm sure they'd rather be putting a motor in it under warranty than using a lab scope looking for trace noises from the knock sensors. Would probably pay better too.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Wow. Whats your education level? To be a true, 'diagnostician' today in the automotive field requires a wealth of skill, investment, and education. What exactly does their language have to do with anything? Could you do their job with whatever level of education and technical expertise you have? Could you take in a car with 147 computer modules on a fiber-optic databus system that is having intermittent communications issues?

Want to bet this guy doesn't go for it. I have a feeling this guy wont be satisfied till they give him a brand new car and put all his junk aftermarket parts on it.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Although the mechanics themselves were crude I see nothing wrong with the way they treated this car.
When I worked at a dealership it was quite common to take a car out and put it through its paces to clean out carbon etc.
And nowadays with rev limiters and electronic engine protections you are not going to damage a healthy engine with spirited driving.
I can't comment on the wheel damage stated by the op.but he strikes me as potentially a problem customer.

I agree, he seems like a whiny [censored].

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
As always, there's two sides to every story. We've really only heard and seen snippets of both.

The video shows the tech hot rodding around town in the customer's car, which isn't the best place for such activities, but not really all that detrimental to the engine. Like was already said, it never bounced off the rev limiter. That sounded like 4 to 5k RPM- a modern, healthy engine can tolerate that for an almost indefinite amount of time. I cannot speak to the owner's claims of wheel, tire and transmission damage- nor can anyone else because we really don't know what happened (though it's doubtful that the transmission was harmed- maybe the adaptives changed, resulting in different shifting with the owner)

The posters here that are claiming they would demand a new drivetrain or even a whole new car, yeah, good luck with that!!! As has been discussed already in other threads, there is no way any dealer would replace an entire car for a case of hot rodding (or other forms of use abuse and/or damage).

Really what this will likely boil down to is a whiney, picky customer and a careless dealer mech. This car was meant to take a flogging and come back for more. Countless people do that many more things every weekend at race tracks all over the country.

Where exactly in the manual does it state that the car was meant to take a beating? I have a `13 GT, & I can`t find anything like that in my manual. If Ford (or any other brand) finds that you were racing your car, damage it, & then try to get it fixed on their dime, they will tell you that you voided your warranty. This situation is in no way any fault of the owner, so you sir, are either a troll, or a Sawgrass employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back