Oh Man, Let the Flaming Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
i broke in my honda for 30 miles, then went about a 100mph for 45 minutes every day. still running hard and strong. though i believe break-in is a tuff subject...hard to say...u get one chance at it

I know of an OEM HD diesel overhauler that uses something similar to the dyno method. Within an hour there pulling 2200bhp on the dyno with a fresh engine and never bring the load down less than 200. The fire it up and Whack: 200bhp.

I have seen the article. I don't pretend to be able to comment on the HP gains-yada-yada-yada. All I can say is that I break my cars in very easy and they generally use very little oil for the duration. Thats usually 100K for me. I do have my flame suit on though.
smile.gif

I've tried both methods myself and never have owned a car that I bought new which ended up burning oil, however I also never kept anything long enough to prove either way.

When I bought my 98 Formula, I drove the heck out of it right from day one. Less than 50 miles were on it when I was redlining it in 4th gear, doing 130+ MPH, racing a Mustang on the highway. And that same night I took at least 3 different people out for rides in it, and each one of them got a sample of it's power, so I was redlining the first 3 gears minimum. Then with 700 miles on it, which was only one week later, I took it down the dragstrip 16 times. I do believe the way I broke that engine in was responsible for it being so much quicker than most other LS1s with similar modifications (it's best quarter mile was 12.68 at 110.6 mph with just very basic simple bolt ons) I only had that car until 27k, but it did not burn any oil when I owned it, and LS1s are notorious oil burners.

With my wife's Civic, we drove it gently during break in and it still does not burn oil at all between changes (less than 100ml of usage in 5k) and it now has 44k on it.

I think it's luck of the draw more than anything, not necessarily your break in method.

My Dodge Dakota 2001 Owners Manual recommends doing some hard acceleration start on a warm engine to speed break in. It was the first I had ever seen that recomendation in an owners manual. I have read similar things in Turbo and Import Tuner Magazines! My best friend is also a Tech. and he has always recomended to people to drive it like you stole to break it in. I did not understand the reasoning behind it as it violates everything I was taught in school. I will give it a try someday. It did not matter with my Truck becase it already had 110 miles on it.

quote:

Less than 50 miles were on it when I was redlining it in 4th gear, doing 130+ MPH, racing a Mustang on the highway

Patman, your crazy!!! Do you have a radar detector?
grin.gif

[ June 08, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Less than 50 miles were on it when I was redlining it in 4th gear, doing 130+ MPH, racing a Mustang on the highway

Patman, your crazy!!! Do you have a radar detector?
grin.gif

Nope, they are illegal up here. I was racing a Porsche 911 Turbo this morning too, although we only did three stoplight races from about 0-70mph (in a 50 zone, so it wasn't too far over the limit)

What can I say? I love to race!
burnout.gif

quote:

What can I say? I love to race!

I don't have a car that can race, but I'd wish I did. I do have 6pts. on my record right now so I have to be careful. I bought the Passport 8500. Worked great so far.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
LOL..... you are going 130 and you are afraid of a radar detector being illegal
dunno.gif

The difference is that I was only going 130 for a few short seconds. With a radar detector on all the time, the cops could nab you anytime you drive by them, as they use radar detector detectors up here. The fine is very steep too. Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 1997 anyways. I go 80mph at some point almost every day too (our limit is 62mph)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
LOL..... you are going 130 and you are afraid of a radar detector being illegal
dunno.gif

The difference is that I was only going 130 for a few short seconds. With a radar detector on all the time, the cops could nab you anytime you drive by them, as they use radar detector detectors up here. The fine is very steep too. Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 1997 anyways. I go 80mph at some point almost every day too (our limit is 62mph)

It'll catch up. Hard to beat statistics.
wink.gif

I'd quit while I was ahead.

[ June 09, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

I guess I can't say it'll never happen again, however I'm a "smart speeder" I know where it's safe to speed, I know where there are stretches where cops can't hide, so unless I'm being tailed by an unmarked car, I'm pretty safe in my daily routine. Only when I go off the beaten path am I at serious risk of getting nabbed.

Besides, 90% of my daily commute I can't even get UP TO the limit, let alone over it. There are only small stretches where traffic clears up enough to go faster. Although the weekends are a free for all! (and on my lunch hour when I go out for a nice blast down the highway sometimes)

I get speeding tickets even when I'm NOT speeding, so the motivation to obey the law is quite small. I figure if I'm gonna get 'em no matter what, I might as well make better time between cop stops.
smile.gif

Cheers, 3MP

3MP,
I've recieved 2 tickets to date, both of those I was not speeding. Most recently, I "flashed" the a-hole driving towards me with high beam AND 4 driving lights. As soon as I flashed him, his disco lights came on too. I was struggling up a hill in 3rd gear (50MPH in a 62 zone), got booked for 75, and a free roadworthy inspection to boot.

Still, I was once caught at 100MPH in a 50mph zone, and got off with a warning, so there's still a little karma left in the kitty.

I rarely get stopped for speeding, just for "stupid" things.

Got stopped in another town a few weeks ago for "following that boat too closely." Seriously, the local yoco decided since I had "out-of-county" plates I should be checked (errr, harassed)
for something. I informed my younger law enforcement official that the driver of the truck with the boat was weaving, and I was attempting to avoid something more serious. Was given a verbal "warning" and I went on my way. Opened 'er up just outside the city limits.

'kule,
you should see how the cops down here react when they radio through the plates and get the message "Warning, may be armed". (rather than "BTW, this person holds a valid firearms licence, and is a meber of the SSAA, and a rifle club".)

Both my Dad and I have had a couple of instances where the cops have unclipped their holsters, and acted in a very agressive manner.

Nastiest one was my Dad, when stopped for a breath test on the way home from playing squash. 56 years old, wearing a Tshirt, shorts, covered with sweat, and a wet towel over his neck.
He pointed out his drivers licence was in the trunk, and went to get it out.
The young police officer got very pissed that he approached the back of the car, and wanted to reach into the trunk.
Then got even more pissed when Dad suggested the the cop get his licence out of the bag in the boot.
They had an impase for a while before Dad had to get the bag out, put it on the ground, and let the cop eye it over before getting his wallet.

I can understand the cop being on edge with the "may be armed" thing that they broadcast over the radio, but.........

Still, I supposed when all firearm owners are a part of the "National Criminal Database", you get behaviour like that,

I had a date tag stolen one time (just a stick-on tag you buy each year, no new plate) and didn't know it. A local PO from another small town stopped me and actually unsnapped his gun holster as he approached my car. Now if he had had a stolen car report or something similar I could understand. But his over-aggresiveness was questioned. I asked him if this was proper procedure and if so where did this procedure eminate.

It turns out this was not proper procedure for routine stops. I also asked him if he had ANY probable cause for doing what he did, and he said no.

Now, I used to be a Reserve PO in St. Louis county, and I know what the police are up against and how tough it is on the beat.

But overaggressive cops who haven't learned proper restraint is scary.

I tend to break in new or rebuilt engines pretty roughly. Never had a problem. The last new engine I drove was a 500hp series 60 diesel.

My boss would buy a new truck, we would hook it to a set of empty pneumatic trailers and drive it to Laughlin,nevada. 200 miles one way.

We would get the truck signed over in Nv to save $$$ somehow (im in ca).

We then would head to the electric plant in Laughlin and load up with Flyash (coalash) and I would drive it loaded at 80k the 200 miles back home over Needles grade on I-40 at the maximin governed rpm and max boost.

Never had a problem and these trucks usually get 600k-900k out of the engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back