Office Libre Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have downloaded Office Libre and am trying to use it. I thought I could use it the same as Word, but that does not seem to be the case. I can read and work on my saved Word documents, however the problem comes when I try to save a document. When I save a new document, it goes to "My Documents", but then when I open the document I just saved, the format (spacing, paragraphs...etc) are all messed up. I am using the docx file extension. The "Help" file is no help. What am I doing wrong?

Here is another simple question that I can't find the answer for. When you first open Office Libre, it shows the recent documents you have worked on or viewed (they are shown in boxes on the opening page). How do you delete these recent documents without deleting them from "My Documents"?

I am beginning to think I should have bought Word. Thank you for your help. I am lost.

I used to use open office but just switched to libre office. It is so much better than open office! I have not had any problems so far and I have been using the .docx file type. I would try uninstalling it re-installing it and see if that makes a difference. Also go to the start menu and click all programs from there click the libre office folder and then open the libre office writer directly. That will take you right to the writer.

I have found part of the problem. This is a new Windows 7 computer. It did not come with any "Starter" Office software. It apparently came with "Notepad". All of my documents in the "My Documents" library are now 15 spaces wide. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this and get all the documents in My Documents back in their original format? When I open them in Office Libre, they are OK, but I sure would like to have them back in their original format in the "My Documents" library. Thank all of you for your patience with me.

Please disregard. I figured it out. I just needed to set my default to use Office Writer to open the documents. All is well. Sorry to bother you great folks, but I really appreciate you willingness to help a dummy!

There are a few thousand of us at Red Hat using it for daily business use.

Sometimes there are some formatting issues with MS Office docs but for the most part it covers the bases.

Major macros in Excel could be a problem.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Try https://www.openoffice.org/

+1... it was all that I used when I earned my bachelor's degree... and I still use it.

Libre office is a fork from Openoffice.org. it's put out by "the Document Foundation", a group of dev's Continuing Openoffice.org's former core philosophy of a quality free and open source office suite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre_office

Last edited:
Glad you got it figured out!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Try https://www.openoffice.org/

+1... it was all that I used when I earned my bachelor's degree... and I still use it.

Libre office is a fork from Openoffice.org. it's put out by "the Document Foundation", a group of dev's Continuing Openoffice.org's former core philosophy of a quality free and open source office suite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre_office

This is correct: OpenOffice offers absolutely nothing over and above LibreOffice.

I have to tell you guys that I am happily confused. I had been told that Libre worked very similar to Word, and that was what I expected it would do (I downloaded it last week). I worked with Libre till after midnight last night, and was having real problems on a number of issues. It certainly was not behaving anything like Word. When I got back on the computer this morning, everything that I had trouble with last night, was working exactly as I expected it should (just like Word)....no problems at all. It healed itself! I have no clue. I do appreciate you guys putting up with my novice questions. Having someone to talk to, helps.

Also might want to use a different format I've had issues with DOCX

I usually use the open doc format,

only issues is if I have embedded objects sometimes they flake when you sent it to with microsoft office (after saving as docx)

My favorite thing to use libre office for...
Printing envelops. Its gotten so I can print them in under 30s, less than 10s if its a bill or address I have saved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back