OEM Hyundai (Mahle) Cartridge filter, 5017 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an OEM Hyundai (Mahle) filter from my wifes 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3L V6.
20,000 miles on vehicle, 5,017 miles/6 months/194 hours on this interval.

Looks very similar to the last one I took out.

Top is fiber material
[Linked Image]

bottom is plastic with a plastic center cage:
[Linked Image]

Nice even pleat spacing:
[Linked Image]

On all sides:
[Linked Image]

All apart:
[Linked Image]

Media looks good:
[Linked Image]

But some little bits of orange stuff in it (gasket material?, last filter was similar, and had some in mom's Soul filter as well)
[Linked Image]

I put in the same as what came out, 6 qts Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and another OEM filter (Kia box, but same filter).
[Linked Image]

Here is the dash display. As I mentioned in the "post your latest oil change", I was at exactly 20,000 miles. Nice for my 5,000 mile OCI.
Also am annoyed that Hyundai only counts to 99 hours on the trip meter.
[Linked Image]

I have 2 more of these filters left (got a 4 pack off e-bay for $33), and will probably stick with OEM since they are relatively cheap compared to aftermarket when bought in bulk.
I have debated getting an Ultra now that they make them for this engine and running it for 2 changes, but I just have a hard time using a filter for 2 intervals.

On a side note, this was one of the easiest oil changes I have done.
I have a drain valve on the pan, so for the change today I used 1 paper towel, a 27 mm socket and ratchet for the filter cap, o-ring pick for the cap o-ring, and 1 pair of gloves.
That was it. Took less than 15 minutes with me taking my time.

Gee, essentially an ecore with a fiber top and yet it's built like the proverbial brick manure house. I have the same qualms that you do about two changes on a filter but this looks stout enough to do it.

Originally Posted by csandste
Gee, essentially an ecore with a fiber top and yet it's built like the proverbial brick manure house. I have the same qualms that you do about two changes on a filter but this looks stout enough to do it.

Looks plenty big-enough to do 2 OCIs. But I wouldn't do two, if the 3.3 warranty is as long as the 2.4.

Your maintenance program is similar to mine on my wife's older Santa Fe, 5k interval with synthetic oil and a good filter. Keep it up. That filter looks great. The OEM filters are swell units. Wife's is at 239k with no signs of slowing down. I've used both the OEM 3C100 filter and K&N Performance Silver Filters with perfect results on both. Different filter for different Lambda engines, but still very similar.

That filter looks easily capable of 2x 5K Ocis on a well maintained engine.

Follow the manufacturer suggested maintenance. Hyundai is notorious for denying recalls unless you can prove that you did the maintenance by the book.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Hyundai is notorious for denying recalls unless you can prove that you did the maintenance by the book.

Bolded is not accurate. Recalls are NHTSA mandated. They may elect to deny a warranty claim/repair due to neglect, but as I'm sure you are alluding to, the Theta recall does not apply here nor would it be denied if it did apply, since it is in fact a recall. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back