OEM Hyundai, 1,855 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a dealer installed OEM Hyundai filter from my mom's 2018 Kia Soul with the 2.0 L GDI motor.
25,000 miles on vehicle, 1,855 miles/6 months on filter (oil was Mobil Super 5w-20) at time of change.
Yes very low mileage interval, but warranty requires a 6 month interval
frown.gif

OEM Filter:
[Linked Image]

Standard baseplate and such:
[Linked Image]

All the parts, ADV nice and pliable:
[Linked Image]

Can is very clean:
[Linked Image]

This was the worse spacing right here (but not bad):
[Linked Image]

The rest was just fine, normal metal crimp for media seam:
[Linked Image]

Made Sept 5, 2018 (weird they put the date code on the inside where 99% will never be seen):
[Linked Image]

Media is pretty clean, a little gasket piece in this (the orange bit, had similar in my Santa Fe):
[Linked Image]

Very mild carbon starting to show, guess from being DI, even with the low miles:
[Linked Image]

These Hyundai/Kia filters are some decently constructed filters.
I know quite a few dealers sell these over the counter for ~$5 with a new crush washer, so not a bad deal either.
If not for my stash of cheap filters (I still have a NAPA Gold 1334 and 2 TG3593a in the stash for H/K vehicles) I would probably use them.
Only reason I say probably is the fact that the Supertech ST9688 is a great value, well built, and readily available.

That said, I put on a Prime Guard filter I had (free from 53' Stude, seems a good vehicle to use it on) and put in some Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 from my stash (~$8):
[Linked Image]

My mom just does not drive much, so this thing will continue to have some short mileage intervals due to the 6 month warranty interval; probably less than 2,000 miles per interval.
I will probably save the above stash of filters I have for my sisters Santa Fe that does a 7,500 mile interval, and just use ST in the future.
I really should drain the oil into a clean container and use it as top off oil in my vehicles that use oil. Just seems a waste to use synthetic oil for only 2,000 miles.

Thanks blupupher for the cut and post! It's interesting to compare it to the MOBIS-made Hyundai filter I posted yesterday. . .It's mostly the same filter. Did you note the Hyundai "H" emblems on the ADBV and external gasket that I observed on the MOBIS filter? Merry Christmas! --Rob

Originally Posted by user52165
Are you sure it REQUIRES a 6 month interval?
shocked2.gif

Hyundai's requirement for warranty. Six months seems overboard, since most manufacturers allow xx miles or 1 year oil and filter changes.

shocked2.gif

Wording in my owner's manual for 2017 Elantra says 3,750 miles or 6 months. Would they deny warranty if you just follow mileage? I am not willing to find out for the $30 and 30 minutes per year it requires to change the oil twice.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
shocked2.gif

Wording in my owner's manual for 2017 Elantra says 3,750 miles or 6 months. Would they deny warranty if you just follow mileage? I am not willing to find out for the $30 and 30 minutes per year it requires to change the oil twice.

It's an "or" statement ... first parameter that is achieved (either 3750 miles or 6 months) becomes the requirement.

Pg 7-22 of my manual under Maintenance Intervals: "Every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 6 months". I sometimes drive less than 3,750 miles so just changed it at 6-months. It is an ideal car for oil bought on sale.

shocked2.gif

It is odd, look at this:
[Linked Image]

For normal service, at top it says every 7500 miles or 6 months to do the following, but in the right column it says to do the oil and filter every 7,500 miles or 12 months.
So if she met the regular service interval, I could do an annual change at ~4,000 miles, but she falls into Kia's "severe" catgory (repeated < 5 mile trips), so sadly it is every 6 months.
Who knows, maybe I will just do an annual change after the next one (I don't want to leave the Prime Guard on for more than 6 months.

Originally Posted by Robster
Thanks blupupher for the cut and post! It's interesting to compare it to the MOBIS-made Hyundai filter I posted yesterday. . .It's mostly the same filter. Did you note the Hyundai "H" emblems on the ADBV and external gasket that I observed on the MOBIS filter? Merry Christmas! --Rob

I did not see a "H" on the ADV or o-ring, but did not look either, I will go out to the trash later and see if I remember.
Merry Christmas to you too.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Filter looks great. Oil looks dark. I would change it every 6 months too.

Really not bad, just looks dark in the pics. I know DI engines get the oil a little darker than port injection.

Originally Posted by blupupher
…..Yes very low mileage interval, but warranty requires a 6 month interval :(…..
My grip with the Hyun/Kia maintenance requirements is that most any kind of driving qualifies as "Severe Service". It's worded "if any" of the conditions listed apply, then it's under severe service category with 6 months/3750 miles interval. As noted one of those is repeated short distance driving.

To topic, filter looks fine as one would expect with the oci/fci. As mentioned this subforum often, Hy/Kia oem filters appear to be well made.

Thanks for c&p.

Based on your usage, I'd change it a 6 months regardless of what the owner's manual says.

Oil filter looks super. As a general rule, it is hard to beat OEM filters .

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…..Yes very low mileage interval, but warranty requires a 6 month interval :(…..
My grip with the Hyun/Kia maintenance requirements is that most any kind of driving qualifies as "Severe Service". It's worded "if any" of the conditions listed apply, then it's under severe service category with 6 months/3750 miles interval. As noted one of those is repeated short distance driving.

To topic, filter looks fine as one would expect with the oci/fci. As mentioned this subforum often, Hy/Kia oem filters appear to be well made.

Thanks for c&p.

A very good way to void the 10 year 100K warranty you promised every customer. Hey and you have the onboard computer to tattle on them.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

Thanks for c&p.

I like Condition J. Yeah, their list pretty much makes 99% of driving "severe".

Yeah, Hyundai will screw you out of your warranty if you look at your engine side ways.

They almost caused my parents to loose their engine completely. Replaced the valve cover gasket, but refuse to replace the oil soaked timing belt... As soon as the warranty was up, I pulled the cover and the belt was cracked at every tooth showed visible stretching and was fraying.

Always assume severe conditions and keep every record. They'll deny you warranty and recall coverage if you are missing even a single change.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Yeah, Hyundai will screw you out of your warranty if you look at your engine side ways.

They almost caused my parents to loose their engine completely. Replaced the valve cover gasket, but refuse to replace the oil soaked timing belt... As soon as the warranty was up, I pulled the cover and the belt was cracked at every tooth showed visible stretching and was fraying.

Always assume severe conditions and keep every record. They'll deny you warranty and recall coverage if you are missing even a single change.

And I thought Ford was bad about trying to deny warranty ...
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back