OEM Honda vs. SuperTech Air Filters

The dirty filter to the left is a Honda OEM for our 2018 Honda CRV 1.5L turbo. Installed last summer at 85,000 miles. Replaced it today with 95,700 miles. Rounding up the filter has 11,000 miles and it did its job well. We live in Southern California, find it hard to believe it’s this dirty. We did take a 2,000 mile trip out of state in this car and it gets driven on the highway 50 miles per day commuting to work. The OEM unit is $30 at my local dealers.

Wanted to try an economy air filter, so I purchased the SuperTech 1900 air filter for $10 at Walmart. It’s evident the number is pleats is less (didn’t count) with the ST. I’ll post a photo in a year of the SuperTech used but I will say the ST made a good seal in the air-box and the plastic frame of the filter appears solid.

Attachments

• 3D39B777-D082-49C0-A748-BD7AC3755768.jpeg
    3D39B777-D082-49C0-A748-BD7AC3755768.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 493
Did your WalMart have the Fram air filter as an option as well? Did you happen to look at how many pleats it had... and how its construction looked in comparison?

I'm smack dab in the middle of the agricultural area of Illinois, and the air filters in my trucks don't even get that dirty even after 5 years and 40,000 miles of use.

Is it possible some of the black is airborne residue from the past wildfires out there? I know here in the mid west I can run an air filter 10k+ and it still looks good except for maybe a few dead bugs and such. We have run the Taurus 20-30k before.

Did your WalMart have the Fram air filter as an option as well? Did you happen to look at how many pleats it had... and how its construction looked in comparison?

I'm smack dab in the middle of the agricultural area of Illinois, and the air filters in my trucks don't even get that dirty even after 5 years and 40,000 miles of use.
Looked but the Fram wasn’t in stock.

I also recently bought an ST air filter for my '02 Accord. I think this will be my way forward in lieu of the Honda OEM air filter.
I’m with you, since this CRV and our TL both are 100K+ miles, will switch both to ST cabin and engine air filters, also using ST MP7317 oil filter, with whichever synthetic is priced lowest, used QS this round.

I've run air filters well past 100k miles that didn't look nearly that dark. I didn't travel through especially dusty or smoky areas much, though.

Holy cow, that's 11,000 miles? I would have guessed 60,000.

With air quality that poor, I would go back to Honda OEM next time and stick with it. Why? Because the Honda OEM filter media is oiled and the ST is not. The light oil coating creates a tacky surface to help trap fine contaminants and is probably a good idea to have in your area by the looks of it.

Back when we had a 18 CRV i ran a AFE ProDry from a Civc with the same 1.5LT. Got rid of the CRV. Wife wanted a Pilot. How’s the fuel dilution? Did an oil change at 20K and I measured 1.5 qrts of fuel in the oil.

I've run air filters well past 100k miles that didn't look nearly that dark. I didn't travel through especially dusty or smoky areas much, though.
me too... depends on the environment... Buddy was complaining the truck didn't have much power. LOL. Buddy was working construction during a long term drought, basically in The Dust Bowl every day. ... in 6 months his air filter had a 1//2 deep layer of sand on it.. put a new filter in and as good as new.

Holy cow, that's 11,000 miles? I would have guessed 60,000.

With air quality that poor, I would go back to Honda OEM next time and stick with it. Why? Because the Honda OEM filter media is oiled and the ST is not. The light oil coating creates a tacky surface to help trap fine contaminants and is probably a good idea to have in your area by the looks of it.

Honda's oiled OEM cannot be beat. 99.16% initial efficiency and 99.57% final efficiency.

Here's a comparison report for the HR-V air filter which someone was very kind to share.

Removed some identifying info because I don't want them to get in trouble.

IMG_1417 3.jpg

Back when we had a 18 CRV i ran a AFE ProDry from a Civc with the same 1.5LT. Got rid of the CRV. Wife wanted a Pilot. How’s the fuel dilution? Did an oil change at 20K and I measured 1.5 qrts of fuel in the oil.
Holy cow, 1.5 quarts of fuel in the oil is unreal.

I went back to OEM for my 8th gen Civic, every aftermarket one I tried didn't fit well (like enough clearance in the airbox to actually make a buzzing sound at certain rpm's)

Back