Oddness from Amazon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon, out of the blue, I get two separate email messages from Amazon. Apparently, they hadn't received two items (from different orders) that I'd already sent back to them, over 4 weeks ago.

So, I was getting a reminder (threat) that if I didn't return them, they'd reapply the charges for the items back to my credit card.. around $200 total.

Thankfully, I found the drop-off receipt from the UPS store in the center console of my truck with the tracking numbers. A quick track showed that they had both been delivered to Amazon's Indy warehouse on 11/19. What more can I do?

Started up a chat session with Amazon Customer Service, gave the rep the order numbers, and let him know of the emails that I'd received. He comes back about three minutes later and tells me to disregard and don't worry, I won't be charged, and emailed me a message stating that in writing.

Is this typical. or unusual for Amazon? I haven't buying from them for long, but am now starting to have second thoughts about buying from the second coming of Sears and Roebuck. If they can screw up the returns process this easily, it isn't comforting.

Never had a problem of this magnitude. Been receiving packages every few weeks for 10-15 years now.

If it's one isolated incident that's covered by paperwork you received and tracking numbers, then don't get too bent out of shape.

Sounds a little like you are blaming Amazon for not finding that console receipt sooner. You are 50% to blame here too.

Merry Christmas silv04. Lets not lean into life-forms of Mr. Grinch.

Last edited:
My guess, it's a business like any other. Mistakes are going to be made.

Wild guess here, but perhaps the fact that you were willing to call back on the issue, and the fact that perhaps you are long time customer, had them deciding to cut their losses and move on. Maybe the return got lost in the mail, or maybe someone swiped your return after it arrived at Amazon (but before it could go into the system), or perhaps it got lost in the system. Rather than risk losing future sales to you they're just hedging their bets that more money is to be made by sweeping it under the rug, regardless of reason.

HPE taught me the value of keeping photocopies of everything I send back and all shipping company receipts and notices.
You haven't lived until you deal with them, heh.
Amazon is a walk in the park. I think they have a policy where the first time a customer has a complaint such as this, go ahead and adjust it in the customer's favor as long as the customer gave a response.

Amazon is trying to transition to different methods of returning items- it doesn't surprise me that they messed up a return. My experience with Amazon returns has been pretty easy recently. I just take the items to Kohls with the QR code that they give me, drop it off with no fuss, and get Kohl's coupons for my efforts. Not too bad.

When you drop off return items at a UPS store, refunds are issued immediately. Every time I have dropped off at UPS, the refund is on my account before I get back home. If you got a refund after the drop off, Amazon should know that UPS has the item, and is shipping it.

Originally Posted by BigD1
When you drop off return items at a UPS store, refunds are issued immediately. Every time I have dropped off at UPS, the refund is on my account before I get back home. If you got a refund after the drop off, Amazon should know that UPS has the item, and is shipping it.

That was true at one point, but on my most recent return, Amazon did not credit my card until after UPS delivered the item.

Someone at Amazon must not have scanned in the returned package by mistake. People make mistakes. I agree totally frustrating. When I have contacted Amazon chat they are always helpful to my position, very good customer service. When they screw up, I get Amazon credit to buy items sold by Amazon.com, not sellers who sell through Amazon. I do spend a lot of money there, I share my account with my extended family and it adds up for them.

Their biggest mistake so far was I ordered a muffler, and it got lost and never arrived. They refunded me the entire amount. Then couple weeks later It was delivered. So I got a free muffler.
Tracking just had stopped. and they had no explanation.

I have been dumping returns at the Amazon Locker. When I lived in an apartment we had one in the complex it was nice.

Now I own a house, we noticed most amazon lockers are at Exxon/7-11 stores.

Good way to have an item delivered securely if you are worried about that as well.

Had to look up Amazon Locker never heard of it. Nice option and they say located in over 900 cities and towns but with almost 20,000 cities and towns in the US most of us might not have access to them.

In the 3 towns nearby the Amazon Locker is at a GNC store. Smart way to gain foot traffic.

So you're starting to have second thoughts over one bad experience? I think that's a bit premature, especially since the end result appears to be that they took care of you with little fuss.

I just received an order from Walmart.com. It was "out for delivery" on Friday, Saturday, then delivered on Monday. The "odd" thing is that it did contain what I ordered, my name/address was on the shipping label, but the packing list (with the correct two items) showed a completely different purchaser and delivery address - a woman in New Albany, Indiana.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I have been dumping returns at the Amazon Locker. When I lived in an apartment we had one in the complex it was nice.

Now I own a house, we noticed most amazon lockers are at Exxon/7-11 stores.

Good way to have an item delivered securely if you are worried about that as well.

I love the lockers. Both for the security and also for not coming home to a soaked package on the porch if it's raining.

Never used them for returns, though. The few times I've had a return, the lockers close to me were unavailable and I have enough UPS stores around me that I can just drop off the package there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back