Oddball Nissan sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 07 Altima with 16 inch steel wheels and covers. I came along a great buy on some 17 inch Nissan Rogue wheels with only 300 miles on them. The guy is selling them for under $200.00. So I'm all excited about that. So I go to Tires.com and put in 215/55/17 and hit search, 17 tires to choose from? Once again Nissan decides to put a oddball size on their most popular car. They did the same thing with my Sentra. They had 195/55/16 tires on it. I had about 4 tires to choose from when I needed to replace the OEM ones.

The price of tires really jump from my current 16 inch to 17 inch.

I narrowed it down to these three probably.

Cooper CS4

product_photos-xlarge_image-3518-331x.jpg

Goodyear Eagle GT

product_photos-xlarge_image-3468-331x.jpg

Kumho ECSTA Platinum

product_photos-xlarge_image-3294-331x.jpg

The wheel is 17X7. I chose those three because those are the only ones I would consider buying, by reading reviews.

Tire Rack has 43 tires in this size. 215/55/17 is not a oddball size anymore.It is used on the newer V6 Altima, Camery, and Mazda 6. Tire Rack has some Kumhos starting at $77.00 in this size.

Originally Posted By: occupant
Try finding 18.9" tires for current model Quest minivans.

What tires? TR says the standard size is 225/60/17 - they have about 30 tires available in this size. Was there some larger optional size?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: occupant
Try finding 18.9" tires for current model Quest minivans.

What tires? TR says the standard size is 225/60/17 - they have about 30 tires available in this size. Was there some larger optional size?

I think he is referring to PAX tires - and by 18.9", the rim diameter is really expressed as 480 (mm).

And, yes, there is only one tire available, but that doesn't support the contention that Nissan picks odd tire sizes. The Honda Odyssey also was fitted with the PAX tires - and there is only one available in that size as well!

Coworker of mind went with Nexen 5000 in this size when he needed a new tires for his 02 Nissan Altima V6. He's getting good wear for a UHP category tire but performance in snow is marginal.

You can use 225/50-17 on the Altima, it will accelerate and handle better. .. and you will have many more choices, try it.

My sentra has the 16x6"s too and I just use 205/50-16s, I have many choices.. from expensive Michelins to cheap chinese Ling-Longs.

One thing Nissan does do is give you space in the wheel wells to fit fat tires. A friend has 265s in his Sentra and it doesn't rub (low offset ofcourse).

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Try a 195/60/16 for my Scion. Last I looked, there were TWO choices.

Then get 205/55-16, it's a much better size. And there is about 200 choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back