Odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are individual quarts of oil SO expensive compared to 5 quart jugs? I understand bulk is cheaper, but come on. Example:
Valvoline SynPower at Wal-Mart

5 quart - $22.67. = $4.53 per quart
1 quart - $7.74. = $7.74 per quart

The singles cost about ~71% more per quart! Why the insane difference?

If you think about the cost to build and staff a huge automated filling plant and then watch as it takes about the same time to fill a gallon jug vs a quart bottle you see that the only cost difference is the raw material which in many cases (soda pop) is small in relation cost allocated for the filling process. Even in the case motor oil and its high cost raw material a gallon of oil might only cost a company twice the cost to make what it costs them to make a quart.
Then add what "Oil Changer" said above...

Oil Changer is probably right...look at your favourite beverage at a retail outlet.

Coke yesterday
* 375ml Can $2.30
* 600ml bottle $3.19
* 1200ml bottle $3.99

That's Oz dollars, multiply by around 0.9 to get US...a 6 pack of Sierra Pale Ale at the same shop was $28 Aus, while a bottle of wine that was $17 Aus yesterday was $7US in SF/Hawaii.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's Oz dollars, multiply by around 0.9 to get US...a 6 pack of Sierra Pale Ale at the same shop was $28 Aus, while a bottle of wine that was $17 Aus yesterday was $7US in SF/Hawaii.

Is Australian wine actually more expensive in Australia than it is in the US?

I don't see quite the price variable between gallons and quarts with the supplier I get my oil from. Quarts are obviously higher, but really only due to extra packaging and such. But the price variable is truly in line with the amount whether it be quarts, gallons, or drums.

But store marketing can be a curious thing. Many folks don't realize that a lot of brands that they find on store shelves actually have to pay for the space on that shelf. Literally, store shelf space is like renting retail property. And that is based a lot on the demand from the customer and volume of turnover of that particular product and a host of other factors. Not sure that this is true with each and every retail outlet, but it is a reality of life, and price of the items reflects that.

And some stores just plain take advantage of the 5qt jug thing, knowing full well that a lot of folks need 6. Same for brands that only come in gallons and quarts. And the consumer brings a lot of this on themselves. Just buy the gallons or the 5 quart jugs and be done with it. After all, most folks are gong to keep the vehicle longer than one oil change and will use it anyway. And they will have some makeup oil on hand if they need it.

TiredTrucker said:
I don't see quite the price variable between gallons and quarts with the supplier I get my oil from. Quarts are obviously higher, but really only due to extra packaging and such. But the price variable is truly in line with the amount whether it be quarts, gallons, or drums.[/quote
That's exactly it. You and I buy from distributors, where the difference is less pronounced or non-existent. For some products, the distributor gives real discounts only for drums.

I think its ridiculous to buy single quarts.

I service six cars and I only buy jugs.

If I needed 6 quarts, I'd buy 2 jugs and have extra for my next OCI.

The real question is why the 2.5 gallon jug and the 5 gallon pail cost more per quart than the 5 quart jug.

The 5 gallon pail is very convenient if you have a pump and your tractor holds 10 gallons.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I think its ridiculous to buy single quarts.

I service six cars and I only buy jugs.

If I needed 6 quarts, I'd buy 2 jugs and have extra for my next OCI.

And this is exactly what I do. Both of mine take 6 quarts. It's insane to spend that much for a single quart. It doesn't matter if you are buying oil or oreos, the price tag doesn't matter. The price per (insert unit - oz, lb, gal, etc.) is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back