odd glitch after replacing clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped a friend replace the clutch in his son's Toyota pickup. We encountered an unusual (to us) problem along the way. 130k miles. The transmission on that truck is HUGE! and heavy. heavier than a T5 in a Mustang GT.
Anyway, replaced the clutch - tried to start the truck afterwards. nope. just "click". hmmm. tried turning the engine over with a wrench. nope. engine seized/locked/jammed. remove the starter - engine spins just fine.
The new flywheel must have been incorrect or was made with improper offset/backspacing. the starter itself was jammed against the flywheel locking it in place.

I'm not looking for a solution - we are past that - just the most likely cause: was it the wrong part or a bad part?

part of the starter mounts through the metal gasket/spacer and into the bell housing. the part that goes into the bell housing literally was into the flywheel - which was apparently too close.
there were no spacers.

Still have the old one? Go have it resurfaced and put it back in. Though I know thats going to take pulling everything back off again, I dont see what choice you have. At least that way you'll know its the correct part.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Still have the old one? Go have it resurfaced and put it back in. Though I know thats going to take pulling everything back off again, I dont see what choice you have. At least that way you'll know its the correct part.

Exactly. Second time is always much quicker anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back