OCI recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Chrysler T&C, 3.8. A high mileage oil has cut consumption from one quart per thousand miles to one quart every 2700-3000 miles. Currently using Pennzoil HM. I usually do 20k per year. During winter, thinking of changing oil every 3 months. Vehicle is driven very short miles with an occasional 1500 mile round trip if we travel for the holidays. Thinking Of doing every 3 months with Max life Syn Blend HM or a 3-3-6 (Nov-Jan, Feb-Apr, May-Oct) using a Syn Blend or convention HM during the short months and a full synthetic during the six month run. Oil choices would be Pennzoil HM and Pennzoil Platinum HM or MaxLife Syn Blend HM and MaxLife Full Syn HM.
Which would you choose? The only thing that concerns me is the short tripping in the winter.

Last edited:
How about a 0w30 winter and 0w 40 summer, change twice a year. Easier to top if you need to than do a full oil change in cold weather.
You might spend for 1 uoa in the winter to check. Unless its DI injection, fuel dilution should not be that bad.

Last edited:
At 20K a year I don't think you'll need to worry about short trips with a 7,500 mi. interval. I've had very good tesults with 5w20 Maxlife in an '09 Caravan. They're tough engines.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Pennzoil Platinum HM or MaxLife Full Syn HM. 10k OCIs at 6-8 month intervals.

+1, with a fram ultra filter. As mentioned by others that engine is tough.

Its great that a HM oil has helped your oil consumption in your DGC. With a synblend I would not hesitate running the interval to three 4 month 6700 mile intervals using 1 1/2 make up quarts and save the extra oil change.

Right now using Peak 10w-30 HM oil in my 3.3l DGC has not been impressive at all given the consumption which averages around 2200 per quart went down to 1500.

My concern with a full synthetic is wasting good oil by dumping it too early. I dont want to run a full synthetic for only 3k-4k miles. As a side note, I used Mobil1 Synthetic HM and it did not help with the consumption as much. I also have used Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 non-HM, they didnt help with consumption. It's partly about cost. Mobil Super HM and MaxLife both have good price points. I also thought about running PPHM and using Pennzoil HM as a top-off oil. It would certainly be convenient to do twice a year OCI's. I should never exceed 10k miles on an oil change under my current driving conditions.

My advice is run the oil that you have had the best experience with, and install an oil pan heater from Wolverine for short winter trips. The oil will be 120 °F when you start the engine. No need to adjust oil to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back