OCI recommendation on 2006 Audi S4 4.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Audi S4 (4.2L v8) that holds 11.2 qts of Mobil 1. The oil was changed in July (per my "free" service) at 3200 miles. My next "free" change is this July. Currently have 6500 miles and will probably hit about 8500 by July.

Most of my driving is city. A few trips more than 15 miles here and there, but not many.

Should I change it now and then again in July? Or leave it?

I had planned on an oil analysis after the July change.

Thanks!

Niiice car, I've driven a B6 S4 with the V8.

Two things stand out in your post - relatively low annual mileage and, more importantly, the nature of your driving.

It appears that your engine virtually never reaches full operating temperature. I'd guess it takes those 11.2 quarts at least 15 minutes to warm up, quite likely more. (My 7-quart 2.7L S4 can easily take 15 minutes, and those turbos make a lot of heat). The moisture that collects inside your engine will just continue to build up.

Keep an eye on your oil (not water) temp guage next few times you drive it.

If it were my car, just to get rid of the moisture that collects and doesn't get purged by oil temp, I'd change the oil twice a year regardless of miles. And I think I'll have company on this board recommending that you make a point of giving it a good (but not necessarily hard) drive once a week or so to get everything nice and toasty.

Enjoy it!

Quote:

Niiice car, I've driven a B6 S4 with the V8.

Thanks!

Quote:

Two things stand out in your post - relatively low annual mileage and, more importantly, the nature of your driving.

It appears that your engine virtually never reaches full operating temperature. I'd guess it takes those 11.2 quarts at least 15 minutes to warm up, quite likely more. (My 7-quart 2.7L S4 can easily take 15 minutes, and those turbos make a lot of heat). The moisture that collects inside your engine will just continue to build up.

Keep an eye on your oil (not water) temp guage next few times you drive it.

If it were my car, just to get rid of the moisture that collects and doesn't get purged by oil temp, I'd change the oil twice a year regardless of miles. And I think I'll have company on this board recommending that you make a point of giving it a good (but not necessarily hard) drive once a week or so to get everything nice and toasty.

Enjoy it!

I do try and drive it spirited when it gets driven. Temp gauge reaches normal range in about 10 min.

No turbos so relatively low heat here.

My thoughts are I will go the 12 months THIS time, get an analysis done in July and decide my path from there. If the sample comes back looking marginal, then start a 6 month OCI regardless of mileage.

I am working many RS4 4.2 FSI DI oil analysis results and in fact working for a customer who is funding analysis R&D work on correcting for fuel dilution. I would not take the oil drain past 5000 miles without corresponding oil analysis from a reputable service. We are seeing fuel dilute levels approaching 2% in
It is possible that the design with DI is outrunning fuels and lubes capabilities for longer drains.

No one has high enough total mileage in the NA market with the engines but what euro and pacific input we are seeing is backing the problem not being restricted to here.

Bottom line analyze the lubricant and monitor closely.

Terry

Im assuming those of you responding with oil extractor are suggesting I just go ahead and change the oil with an extractor?

Oil extraction will not remove all of the oil in the 4.2L V8 Audi engine, as per the service recommendations. You'll need to do a full oil and filter change to remove all of the oil.

I'd agree with Terry's recommendation of an oil analysis, to see where you're sitting. Your engine is standard fuel injection, so you may not see the fuel dilution issues we se with the Audi FSI V8 in the RS4 with DI, but the only way you'll really know how your oil is performing is to have it analyzed. That's no different than getting a periodic yearly blood test at your doctor's office.

Any other recommendation is just a guess. If someone has already done the oil analysis on the same engine, then there might be some validity to their opinion, otherwise go find out for yourself. Pay the $50 to get a Dyson Analysis premium analysis on your oil. Then make your oil and OCI decisions with intelligence and confidence.

Dyson Analysis

Jason, it's good to see you're taking a serious interest in maintaining such an exceptional car.

However, I really have to question whether the oil, as opposed to the coolant, is getting up to temp on a regular basis. The coolant guage - the conventional temp guage - is generally to be ignored regarding oil temp, which is one of the issues here.

So (and help me as I am a bit slow
wink.gif
) you are saying do a small extraction NOW and send in for analysis then make my decision based off that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back