OCI on auto's driven 5-7K miles annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I put about 5K miles annually on my Nissan SE-R and maybe 7K on the Cherokee. I use PP 5w-30 in the Nissan and 10w-30 in the Jeep. Back "when" I use to dump oil in 4 months but now go 6 months in each vehicle. That still, there isn't a whole lot of miles on the oil. Am I nuts to do it that frequently? Both vehicles are driven daily 'cept in (bad weather) winter when I use the S10 instead of the Nissan.
Fred

I concur, but here is some detail. It depends on how the cars are driven. If they get their miles in very short hops, under 5 miles, and they never get out for longer exercise (minimum 20 miles runs), then six months. Really lousy, damp storage conditions might also make a shorter interval

Based on oil analysis, I'm running my car out to 8K miles regardless of time (about 18 months on average. I have a pickup running the same interval (also based on UOA). Running on a three year interval now for one farm tractor and 2 years on the other... based on UOA, of course.

Otherwise, no worries on a year OCI.

the issue may not be oil related. the issue may be oxidation forming inside the motor from moisture.

if they are driven daily then moisture should not be a issue as long as they get up to temp. try a UOA after 6 months just to see where its at. it's probably fine to go 12 months.

I'd change both once a year. Do the Nissan in the fall as it will be sitting all winter. Do the Cherokee in the spring to get all that winter moisture out of there.

I've got an upcoming oil change on my garage-kept 2003 Siverado. It will arrive at 1 year with about 1500 miles on the oil.

Thanks all - I should have given a bit more details on usage.

I use the Nissan for work - 8 miles each way. No stop and go and the trip home includes about 4 miles highway at 60 - 65 mph. Again, this is except for the winter when there is snow on the ground. It hardly ever is used for short-trip (1-2 mile) stuff.

The wife uses the Jeep for all local running around stuff. It also would include probably 2 vacation trips/yr. - each totaling about 1K miles round trip.

FWIW, the S10 Blazer gets about 1500 miles/yr (most in the winter) with annual spring oil changes with either QS or PYB conventional 10w-30.

Thanks all for the replies - info food for thought.
Fred

ps. FWIW, it took me a long time to first accept 6 month changes - lol

Last edited:
I used to drive ~5k miles a year in my old Nissan and I used to just change it when it hit 3,000 miles regardless of time. Usually ended up being between 6-9 months. All short trips and hard driving and it held up fine. No sludge or varnish when I looked under the fill cap into the head.

I added this information on another thread about 10K OCI's before I saw this topic:

I change every 6 mo in the '98 F150 whether it needs it or not. I use Havoline dino usually and the mileage rarely exceeds 3K-3.5K. I'll probably treat myself to a new PU before this one is broken in. It has approx. 78K on it now.

I do try to use a premium filter at each change. I could probably go longer but I like doing a change at the season's change.

John
W.TN

Since you live in NY, I think you're doing a good thing with 2 changes. With the change in temperatures like that, there are bound to be issues with things like condensation especially if you are doing short trips. If it helps, just use QS Green Bottle from Walmart to cut down your total costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back